Thread: KolourPaint comes with many files. Are they associated with KDE desktop environment?

Beans

KolourPaint comes with many files. Are they associated with KDE desktop environment?

Hi! I installed one image editor called KolourPaint on my Ubuntu machine.

When I did it, A lot of lines are displayed on Terminal, much more than other installations.

At a certain question board, I find a opinion against its downloading a lot.
    I am the Linux novice, so not sure, but These files seems associated with KDE.

Why do some people disapprove it? Is the reason that Ubuntu uses GNOME?

I wish there were any simple explanation.
    Last edited by Captain Cookie; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:46 PM. Reason: To Add a period

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: KolourPaint comes with many files. Are they associated with KDE desktop environme

yes, very likely.

it's a different desktop environment that is based on QT libraries and to run it on gnome (which uses primarily GTK libraries) you need it's libraries. there is also KDE4Win which makes KDE software run on windows for example.

in any case storage these days is cheap and these files are not big and will not affect your machine performance.

i use KDE (found in Kubuntu), however i also use some Gnome apps, which means when i installed these apps they pulled in GTK libraries. this is not an issue as long as they work as intended.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

Re: KolourPaint comes with many files. Are they associated with KDE desktop environme

So the software based on other desktop environment uses it,
    KDE in this case, independently of whole Ubuntu system,
    as a lone wolf, doesn't it?

How complex!

I understand no need to worry about
    storage space for the additional libraries
    with your providing explanation,
    so I will try if it is not a GNOME based software.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Kolourpaint is the closest you can get to MS Paint in the Linux world, and works extremely well.
    It does not take many resources, but it looks daunting because of the many files installed.
    Those small files are graphic symbols for the interface, nothing else. IIRC, only two system libraries need to be installed.
    Harmless.
    Last edited by ml9104; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

It should not be a big problem for you and those library files are not huge.

I use Xubuntu (a gtk desktop) but also have two KDE/qt applications installed (kmymoney and digikam) as, in my opinion, they are better than the gtk alternatives.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Oh! The reason to install to KolourPaint is
    that I want to the image editor like Microsoft Paint,
    which is my favorite for simple edit task,
    though I use Gimp for serious edit.

My choice seem getting a point,
    because of #4 reply!

I understan that
    the softwares based on other desktopt
    environment has possibility to be better
    than ones based on the default desktop environment.

Thank you for #5 reply!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I use Kubuntu which is based on KDE, but i use many GTK applications. Libre office, Firefox, Thunderbird, CDEmu, GIMP... whatever i need.

Some QT applications (default in KDE) are a bit better or have more options. so then i use those. VLC, qbittorrent, Skrooge, K3b, digicam, kdenlive... to name a few.

it's not really about the desktop environment. they are a matter of personal preference. it's the apps that are important.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

Hi! Thank you, mastablasta,
    for commenting again!

Do you mean that the most important thing is
    what I want to do, so I can use any apps for it,
    even if they come with additional files?

I knew the new fact that same apps for another environment
    have additional functions with your comment!