Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryzen 5 or Core i5

Beans

Ryzen 5 or Core i5

Hi everyone

I'm renewing my laptop and I've already seen one I like. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 515-43. The hardware is: processor AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, SSD 512GB, Radeon vega 8 graphic card and Wi-Fi 802,11ac (Wi-Fi 5). The thing is, I've read a lot on the Internet that the compatibility between ryzen and Linux gives quite a few problems, and the graphics too. I also have the option to buy the same laptop with an Intel Core i5 1035G1 processor, Intel UHD graphic card, and Wi-Fi 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) but with a considerable price hike. Money is not a "problem", but I have to say that the use I'm going to give it is simple. For compatibility I'm almost sure that the Intel will not give me problems, but I would like to know your opinion about the Ryzen. Both, Intel and Ryzen do not have Windows installed, they come with FreeDOS.

Is Ryzen really going to give me trouble? Is it worth paying more for the same laptop with Intel? Which one would you choose?

Greetings and thanks for your time

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ryzen 5 or Core i5

Quote Originally Posted by 11081987-joselu View Post
    For compatibility I'm almost sure that the Intel will not give me problems
    you answered your own query.

Both, Intel and Ryzen do not have Windows installed, they come with FreeDOS.
    excellent, just the way i like it.

Is it worth paying more for the same laptop with Intel?
    if i was you i would.

Which one would you choose?
    have been buying, recommending & using desktops & laptops since 20 years with intel inside & intel has never failed me on any machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Ryzen 5 or Core i5

According to PassMark the i5 benchmarks only slightly higher than the AMD. I only have experience with older AMD CPUs and they have been no problem with Linux. I don't know how AMD graphics are running currently with Linux being a Nvidia user. I have an i5 on my laptop as well.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just a note ...

AMD is a member of the Linux Foundation.

Brand loyalty can be blinding. The fact is that you should choose hardware that meets your specifications -- whatever the brand.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks ipv, I appreciate your answer greetings and have a nice week!!

Beans

Thanks QIII, greetings and have a nice week!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The thing is, I've read a lot on the Internet that the compatibility between ryzen and Linux gives quite a few problems,
    Not at all.

and the graphics too.
    This is the bit.

Intel have a bajillion dollars and spare engineers just down the back of the sofa. They can afford to get all their ducks in a row long before they release new hardware. Nvidia also have quite a lot of money, and their proprietary driver has an awful lot in common with their well-funded Windows driver, so they can have their driver ready to go for all distributions straight away, too. AMD can't afford that. They'll generally release some largely functional code pretty soon after they release their hardware, which then needs to trickle down to all the distributions as they get released, generally being polished up on the way. Older AMD graphics hardware on standard releases is perfectly fine - works well, has most of the kinks straightened out - but new AMD graphics hardware needs really new software. That means that you'll need to use 19.10 or (the not-yet-released) 20.04, or 18.04 with the Hardware Enablement Stack and a PPA that provides newer Mesa.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I've used AMD graphics for years, including back before AMD bought ATI. I've used Intel graphics and NVIDIA. I've had good luck with all of it.

AMD hardware is well supported. AMD is a member of the Linux Foundation. The issue with any OEM is that the very newest hardware may not immediately be support by Linux.
    Last edited by QIII; March 11th, 2020 at 03:53 AM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    AMD is a member of the Linux Foundation.
    So are Intel, Nvidia, and Microsoft. The broader point of your post holds, but this specific part isn't a factor.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    So are Intel, Nvidia, and Microsoft.
    I didn't say they weren't. The point of specifying the membership for AMD is to counter the nonsensical warning about AMD Ryzen and Linux. That's plain FUD.
    Last edited by QIII; March 11th, 2020 at 05:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast