Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to buy a new computer for Ubuntu (Beginner)

Beans

Re: I want to buy a new computer for Ubuntu (Beginner)

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    The 'buy new hardware' approach is part of the Windows tradition but using Buntu you can begin with any kind of old gear you have around. 12 years age is no problem.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006
    Yep find a used computer you can find good deals everywhere for cheap cost if your willing to search a little bit.

Here's one of my 13 year old curb finds upgraded from spare parts and then installed Ubuntu 18.04 and working well.

Code:
    thomas@HP-Pavilion-PC:~$ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: HP-Pavilion-PC Kernel: 4.15.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.0
               Desktop: Gnome 3.28.4 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu4) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
    Machine:   Device: desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GN556AA-ABA a6200n serial: N/A
               Mobo: ECS model: Nettle2 v: 1.0 serial: N/A BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.12 date: 06/11/2007
    CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (-MCP-) arch: K8 rev.F+ cache: 2048 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 9643
               clock speeds: max: 2800 MHz 1: 2400 MHz 2: 2400 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] bus-ID: 02:00.0
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
               Resolution: 1152x720@60.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 8400GS/PCIe/SSE2 version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:05.0
               Card-2 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 02:00.1
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-88-generic
    Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: ec00 bus-ID: 00:07.0
               IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 82.3GB (11.4% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72168 size: 82.3GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 75G used: 8.8G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
    RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:50C
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 200 Uptime: 10:03 Memory: 1365.1/5960.4MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.5.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56 
    thomas@HP-Pavilion-PC:~$
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Using really old hardware has 1 liability.

GPU drivers that support decoding modern videos using the hardware-drivers, not the CPU. Around 2013 is when GPUs HW all started getting h.264 and mpeg2 video capabilities. Cheap computers older than that struggle to playback nominal youtube hidef video today. OTOH, since then, any intel CPU with built-in iGPU can easily handle playback for any mpeg2 or h.264 videos today. Cheap chromebooks often have terrible CPUs, but the built-in iGPU can and does handle any youtube videos.

What is your current Windows hardware? We can look at it to know how well it can handle virtual machines fairly quickly.

Beans

I'm agnostic in the AMD vs Intel wars, but this might make you pause: https://www.engadget.com/2020/03/08/...security-flaw/

On the other hand, I don't often get too concerned about reports like these. I don't expect the computer I'm using now is going to start leaking data from its AMD processor.

I can't tell if you're looking for a laptop or a desktop. If you can go with a desktop and already have a monitor, how about
    this one at $75: https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-001E-3W...9SIA596AYE5027
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if you want to save money you can get business class dekstops or laptops form outlet. they are usually ubuntu certified and often come with no OS preloaded. for example HP Pavilions, Lenovo's think centers, Dells...

same goes for laptops.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I've done dual-booting with various Linux distros and Windows versions for well over ten years -- so let me provide some observations.

First, Linux is not a "free version of Windows". OK, you probably know that -- but lots of folks don't. And many of them come here asking how to run MS Office and other Windows apps they've grown dependent on using, and the simple answer is -- you don't! So, that in mind, the main challenge in using Linux is going to be learning how to do the same old stuff with new apps.

Second, folks will say you can do EVERYTHING in Linux that you can in Windows. This simply is not true! But for most people, the few things that Windows does do not really matter. So, if you're using e-mail, browsing the web, watching videos -- you can do ALL of that in Linux equally well, and you won't miss Windows.

Third, in Windows, folks can become OBSESSED with keeping up, almost daily, with driver updates and BIOS updates. You won't be doing those in Linux, especially the latter -- as companies that provide BIOS updates do those using specialized apps that run only in Windows. So, if you run into hardware issues in Linux, and folks say (as they all to often do) to do a BIOS update (as if it was some kind of miracle cure), then you can forget about that.

Fourth, the long-standing view is that, given ANY hardware, Linux distros perform much better than MS Windows. Once again, this simply is not true. I maintain a number of systems that are dual-booted and they display NO performance difference, whether they are running the Linux distros or Windows. In addition, some of the new equipment, especially laptops, in order to keep the processor heat down run real-time utilities to reduce CPU usage -- and these utilities are generally NOT available for Linux.

Fifth, the suggestion to use a VM is a good one because it prevents you from having to spend money on hardware that you might end up not using for the long run. This will allow you to become accustomed to WHAT Linux does and HOW it does it -- but there is going to be some performance cost of using a VM. So, if it runs slower than the native Windows install, don't be surprised. That is not a factor of running Linux; instead, it is a factor of using a VM.

Last, but not least, I do NOT share in the apparent common opinion that any laptop is going to work well in Linux, as I have seen the OPPOSITE to be the case. I have three laptops I bought over the years and at one time, ALL of them were running Linux distros. Now, NONE of them are, Why? Because kernel upgrades over the years broke the working drivers and no new drivers were ever produced to fix that. Laptop manufactures are INFAMOUS for using specialized hardware to keep down both the cost and the weight of their laptops. One example, that is no so prevalent today, is switchable graphics -- which required using specialized video drivers which were mostly provided by the manufacturers. If you had such a laptop and switched to Linux, you really suffered in the video performance area. If you know of a specific laptop model you want, then search here for experience with that model as you will then see if there are major driver issues. The unfortunate fact is that everyone provides Windows drivers; very few provide Linux drivers. So, if you buy the wrong laptop and discover no Linux drivers for some of the hardware, then you are stuck.

Sorry if this sounds overly negative, and I don't mean to discourage you, but thought it appropriate to mention some problems you're likely to encounter -- that you need to consider before spending money on a PC.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I have an HP laptop that's nine years old running Kubuntu 20.04. I added memory and swapped the hard drive for an SSD, but otherwise it's the same hardware. I also have a Lenovo laptop that's eight years old and running Kubuntu 19.10. I swapped the hard drive on this one as well, but that's it. Neither computer has ever had a problem with any version of Ubuntu over their lifespans.

My experience with Dell servers has been pretty much the same. I do use CentOS on servers since companies like Dell pay more attention to enterprise users who prefer RedHat, but again, Linux on Dell servers has been rock-solid.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've one caution re AMD and it's related to theFUs caution above. If I were a beginner I'd think twice about Ryzen with integrated video at this point. I have a homebuilt Ryzen3 2200G - the G means it has integrated graphics. That has been problematic though newer Ubuntu releases, 19.10 and 20.04 seem better. Disabling the integrated graphics and installing a few years old discrete graphics card works much better. You can find pre Ryzen AMD processors for pretty low $. SWMBO had an AMD A6 machine and it worked very reliably for her including integrated graphics. Her power supply died and took the motherboard and/or processor with it. I replaced her machine with a B450 chipset motherboard and AMD Ryzen 2600 processor no integrated graphics. It has been very reliable.

Short version re AMD Ryzen processors are getting excellent press these days but for Linux the graphics subsystem seems somewhat immature. I don't know how reliable new discrete AMD video cards would be, I buy a few years old cards off Ebay, pay about $12. I don't game or use graphically demand apps so don't need the latest and greatest video.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Third, in Windows, folks can become OBSESSED with keeping up, almost daily, with driver updates and BIOS updates. You won't be doing those in Linux, especially the latter -- as companies that provide BIOS updates do those using specialized apps that run only in Windows. So, if you run into hardware issues in Linux, and folks say (as they all to often do) to do a BIOS update (as if it was some kind of miracle cure), then you can forget about that
    BIOS updates are available as bootable ISOs. Some brands support BIOS updates directly from Linux for certain devices. If you are buying a new computer to run Linux, check if it is supported: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/docs/users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

All good advice and would be good to know the OP's thoughts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12