Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu crashing and/or logging me out

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation Xubuntu crashing and/or logging me out

I've had trouble for a number of weeks now with Xubuntu freezing or logging me out for no apparent reason.

More often it freezes: I'll be navigating in Thunar or maybe using Firefox, and the computer simply stops responding to mouse clicks or keyboard commands. I can move the mouse cursor as much as I like, but I can't do anything with it. Usually I have music playing, and it keeps playing when the system stops responding, so this might be a problem with X specifically. Anyhow, the only thing I'm able to do then is to physically power the machine off and start up again. Often this will happen in two or three times in a row, followed by a period of hours before it does it again.

Sometimes, instead, it logs me off. Then I can log back in just fine, but if I was backing up my data, I have to start over from scratch. This happens less often than the freezing, but still annoying.

More information can be found at my post at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2421945, but here's a synopsis.

• I was running Xubuntu 19.10 and people suggested I switch to LTS, so I reinstalled 18.04 from scratch.
    • People suggested I check the SMART data for my system drive (an SSD) and my data drive (1TB mechanical). They pass the tests with flying colors, as far as I can tell. Now I know SMART is notorious for giving false negatives at times, but still...
    • In the end someone suggested I might have a problem with my motherboard, so I changed computers. I pulled my drives and graphics card out of my old computer and plugged them into a newer one, and the problem continues.
    • I thought maybe it's the graphics card at fault, so I changed it out for another, without effect.
    • I could reinstall Xubuntu from scratch again, but that's a big deal - there are so many things to set up and configure when I reinstall my OS, I don't want to do it for a second time on a "maybe this time" basis.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a loss here.
    Last edited by peyre; March 22nd, 2020 at 05:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu crashing and/or logging me out

Hmm, I've tried turning off Google Chrome hardware acceleration, as suggested at https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ezing-randomly and https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...nlocks.html.en. So far it hasn't locked up on me since (which is kind of odd as I don't use Chrome very often), but maybe that's done the trick...if I haven't just jinxed it by posting this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ha! No. I just fired up my computer this morning; it ran for a while, but then it locked up. I turned it back on and it locked up again pretty much immediately. And again. And again - it locked up on me four times in quick succession. Then it worked for a little bit and logged me off. What is with this OS?!

The lockups do seem to run in series like this. Don't know why, but maybe it's a clue as to what's going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are you sure that it is the OS and not your hardware? It really sounds like a hardware issue to me. You could have a RAM chip going bad, a power supply failing, or a number of other things.

Overheating? Have you cleaned it lately? Fans operating?

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That's a fair question. Someone suggested that on a previous thread where I brought this up. So I changed computers. My wife got an upgrade for her computer, so I pulled the hard drives and video card out of my old box and installed them in her old system (and blew out the dust while I was at it). The problem continued, so I swapped out the video card for an old one we had lying around, and the problem still continued. So, it's followed me from one physical computer to another.

It's possible there's a problem with the hard drives (an SSD and a mechanical), but I've checked them several times with S.M.A.R.T. utilities, and the test results are all good. I know SMART is known for giving false negatives, but changing out the drives isn't something real easy to do, and it's a lot to try on a "maybe".
    Last edited by peyre; March 30th, 2020 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I fully agree with Autodave about this being more likely to be a hardware problem; certainly it is not what is normal for the OS itself, ie, Xubuntu 18.04, which I've been running on a laptop and desktop now since 18.04 was released, and as far as I can remember I have never once in that period had either of those two systems lock up on me.

As you keep shifting the same hard disk from machine to machine it does rather point to the disk, I agree, even though SMART tells you it's all OK.

As a test can you run a live version of 18.04.4 and see if that also suffers in the same way. It might also be worth running command
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck /dev/sdx#
    where the sdx# is the root partition of your problem OS. You may need to run sudo blkid to make sure you get that right in the command.

Finally, using the problem OS and machine, can you please show the output of command
    Code:
    inxi -Fzx
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ah, thanks! Let's see...

Code:
    sudo e2fsck /dev/sda1
    e2fsck 1.44.4 (18-Aug-2018)
    /dev/sda1: clean, 545739/15269888 files, 44356354/61049088 blocks

sudo e2fsck /dev/sdb1
    e2fsck 1.44.4 (18-Aug-2018)
    Storage: clean, 167460/61054976 files, 178647257/244189952 blocks

inxi -Fzx
    System:    Host: peyre Kernel: 5.3.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.0
               Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
    Machine:   Device: desktop System: Dell product: Inspiron 3847 serial: N/A
               Mobo: Dell model: 088DT1 v: A01 serial: N/A
               BIOS: Dell v: A11 date: 05/07/2019
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 (-MCP-) 
               arch: Haswell rev.3 cache: 6144 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 25542
               clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 1430 MHz 2: 1498 MHz 3: 1619 MHz
               4: 1471 MHz
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Card-2: NVIDIA G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.5 )
               drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz, 1280x1024@60.02hz
               OpenGL: renderer: NV94 version: 3.3 Mesa 19.2.8 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Def. Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.3.0-42-generic
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
               driver: r8169 port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
               IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
               driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
               IF: wlp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-3: Atheros usb-ID: 003-008
               IF: null-if-id state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1250.3GB (71.3% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 250.1GB
               ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 229G used: 165G (76%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
    RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 41.0
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 252 Uptime: 0 min Memory: 1277.4/7879.2MB
               Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.5.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56
    Last edited by ajgreeny; March 31st, 2020 at 08:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Am I right in thinking that it's more likely the system drive (the SSD) that's at fault, rather than the data drive (HDD)?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Other observations: as I mentioned above if I have music playing, it continues to play. However, Audacious seems to lock up as well when the current song ends, or at some point it starts repeating the last chord over and over. Holding down the power button for a few seconds seems to free it up to keep playing. Doesn't fix the computer lock though.

Also, these lockups seem to occur most often when I'm navigating the file system, so I've wondered if Thunar might be at fault. I reinstalled it in Synaptic though, so that doesn't seem to be it either.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It could be either drive. Personally, I would suspect the spinner one first since SSDs don't normally have intermittant issues: they either work or they don't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast