Thread: Ubuntu 19.10 takes 192 seconds to load

Beans

Ubuntu 19.10 takes 192 seconds to load

I would like to request help with a slowly booting Ubuntu. I have a HP pavillion laptop with a 250gb ssd with Windows 10 installed, and run Ubuntu from an external harddrive. I have recently fixed some problems I had with dual boot in UEFI mode, but now my next problem (which already existed while I was trying to solve dual-boot problems and is not the result of whatever I fixed) is that Ubuntu takes about 192 seconds to load.

External harddrive is a seagate backup plus 4tb read/write speed of about 110/120mbps connected with a USB 3.0.

I am not sure how to fix it, but I have the outputs from systemd-analyze critical-chain and blame, as well as dmesg.

From dmesg it seems there is some time taken to mount 'sdb8' at around 43 seconds and possibly the bluetooth delays from 60-140 seconds. According to the systemd-analyze plot there seems to be a long delay between sysinit.target and the nss-lookup.target.
    However, I am no expert with this and I am not sure how to interpret these outputs, and so would request some help in what to do about it.

Thanks!

dmesg output:

https://gist.github.com/ogola89/d0b7...esg_output-txt

systemd critical chain output:
    https://gist.github.com/ogola89/d0b7...ical_chain-txt

systemd blame output:
    https://gist.github.com/ogola89/d0b7...temd_blame-txt

systemd plot output:
    https://ibb.co/jHWrcMs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 19.10 takes 192 seconds to load

USB3 (or any USB) will be slow. Nothing can fix that. It is a protocol problem w/ USB storage. Switch that connection the SATA or eSATA, if you can.
    To save other people from following links:

Code:
             30.065s plymouth-quit-wait.service
             17.912s systemd-journal-flush.service
             12.927s snapd.service
             12.301s networkd-dispatcher.service
             11.463s postgresql@12-main.service
             11.322s dev-sdb8.device
             10.049s udisks2.service
              9.536s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
              8.739s ModemManager.service
              7.873s accounts-daemon.service
              7.333s fwupd.service
              6.821s NetworkManager.service
              6.513s grub-common.service
              6.474s secureboot-db.service
              6.146s e2scrub_reap.service
              5.854s grub-initrd-fallback.service
              5.724s avahi-daemon.service
              5.665s rsyslog.service
              5.600s thermald.service
              5.594s iio-sensor-proxy.service
              5.578s bluetooth.service
    You don't need plymouth.
    You don't need avahi on a well run network.
    You don't need a "modem manager" do you?
    You don't need bluetooth. Purge those tools and disable the HW in the BIOS.
    Do you really need snaps? I've purged them from my system.
    Code:
    $ snap
    The program 'snap' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt install snapd
    Only you can decide whether snaps are useful or not.

If you set the network to use a static IP, on the system, most of the network slowness will be gone. In short, don't use wifi or DHCP.
    I'm guessing that sdb8 is the USB connected disk? It is slow.

Basically, Ubuntu installs and configures a bunch of stuff to "just work" that most people actually don't need or want. They are following the MSFT model of "maybe someday, someone, using this install, might want X" so they install, configure and run stuff that isn't necessary.

Consider moving "server" things outside the graphical startup dependency chain. Why does apache or postgress have anything to do with a desktop login? Makes no sense. Also, trying to run a postgress DB on USB storage is a bad idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

3 minutes to boot from an external USB HDD sounds about right. You'll need to rethink your HW setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have an external SSD containing Ubuntu 18.04, via USB 3.0 (since I am using docking station for SSD).
    Boot time is snappy but I am using rEFInd where I have configured refind.conf to scan external drive first to look for loader.

Beans
    Distro

fyi, here's the systemd-analyze blame for a 19.10 server here:
    Code:
              2.103s e2scrub_reap.service
              1.505s systemd-udev-settle.service
              1.154s systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
               954ms cloud-config.service
               930ms cloud-init-local.service
               874ms systemd-journald.service
               860ms systemd-logind.service
               717ms dev-vda2.device
               647ms systemd-timesyncd.service
               583ms cloud-init.service
               428ms cloud-final.service
               374ms systemd-resolved.service
               358ms blk-availability.service
               344ms networkd-dispatcher.service
               342ms systemd-networkd.service
               312ms keyboard-setup.service
               295ms systemd-journal-flush.service
               270ms apparmor.service
               266ms apport.service
               232ms accounts-daemon.service
               199ms rsyslog.service
               199ms swap.img.swap
               194ms grub-common.service
    See that cloud-init stuff? Just removed it here. Saving about 1.8sec from startup now. Before I dd that, I knew that console access might be needed to fix any issue this caused. Fortunately, it didn't break anything. win-win.

Also cleaned up the iscid service. We don't use any iSCI storage, so that isn't needed. Doing that removed about 6 lines from the critical-chain dependency list and another second saved.

That's with a SATA SSD, no USB, no GUI, no DHCP. No snaps. Network is static IP. Provided just so you can see what's possible on a relatively clean install.

Beans

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Just a couple of things to note:
    I previously had ubuntu installed on a sandisk USB as well, which booted up much quicker - about 20 seconds. I am not asking for an instant boot, but it has increased considerably.

I then got the external HD, installed Ubuntu on it, and it loaded relatively quickly as well. I think the problems came when I then used dd to get the files from the sandisk USB install to the hard drive. My guess is some files may have been duplicated or point to files whose directories have changed (e.g disk locations) and that's what's causing this issue.

As to the fixes mentioned, I am not sure exactly which ones are server ones and which ones are essential. I know it is tedious, but if you have a moment, could you please literally point out which exact ones I should remove to speed things up a bit? I am not so familiar with the nature of each process.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am a fan of Stacer which you can install from PPA from instructions here.

Then go to Stacer dashboard > Services and you can very easily choose which should be enabled/disabled.

But this is only one approach.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ogola89 View Post
    I then got the external HD, installed Ubuntu on it, and it loaded relatively quickly as well. I think the problems came when I then used dd to get the files from the sandisk USB install to the hard drive. My guess is some files may have been duplicated or point to files whose directories have changed (e.g disk locations) and that's what's causing this issue.

As to the fixes mentioned, I am not sure exactly which ones are server ones and which ones are essential. I know it is tedious, but if you have a moment, could you please literally point out which exact ones I should remove to speed things up a bit? I am not so familiar with the nature of each process.
    Everyone is different. What you think is essential, I think is pure bloat. It is a judgement call that only you can make.

dd is dumb. it doesn't know anything about sector alignments. A misaligned spinning disk can create a 30% performance loss. Check that using parted. Data needs to be placed on the disk at the beginning of sectors, which need to be aligned on natural sector boundaries. Sectors are either 512b or 4Kb in size. SMART, hdparm and a few other tools will list the native sector size for a disk. Google for more background if needed.