Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

What is the best method for installing and running an ISO using commands?
    I have no desktop or external drive facility. Do the partitions need adjusting?
    Is it better to use Grub2 or the tty1 screen?
    Last edited by angel mike; March 10th, 2020 at 09:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

What have you got?

What computer is it (brand name and model) and what operating system is there?

If you are running Ubuntu Server, it should be possible to modify the grub system to add a menuentry that lets you boot from an iso file stored in the internal drive. See this link: help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot/Examples

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks sudodus for that quick response.
    Dell Laptop XPS13 7390
    OS Ubuntu 18.04
    Dell provide no support for Linux although they sell them - only Windows. They removed the option to boot from an external drive which I had on my Dell XPS11. In removing a dbus.file and its deficiencies I lost the GUI - tried reinstalling it but gives errors and cannot fetch archive files - so best option seems to be reinstall the OS.
    I have seen a lot of references to a Server - can the same method be used for a laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by angel mike View Post
    Dell Laptop XPS13 7390
    OS Ubuntu 18.04
    Dell provide no support for Linux although they sell them - only Windows.
    Vendors support the preinstalled OS only in consumer products. Dell doesn't support Windows in the Developer Editions (Ubuntu) either.

They removed the option to boot from an external drive which I had on my Dell XPS11.
    No, they didn't. What made you think that?

In removing a dbus.file and its deficiencies I lost the GUI - tried reinstalling it but gives errors and cannot fetch archive files - so best option seems to be reinstall the OS.
    Are you sure you were connected to the internet?

I have seen a lot of references to a Server - can the same method be used for a laptop?
    The reference to "server" above is regarding the Ubuntu Server edition.

This looks like a X-Y problem: You can't boot installation media and instead of asking for help for that issue you're asking about what you think is a solution, booting an installation ISO in an internal drive or something, or "Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands"...

Beans
    Hidden!

I agree with @CelticWarrior, that you should be able to boot your Dell laptop from a USB drive, with some help from us and the following links:

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Why Doesn't my Bootable USB Boot

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by angel mike View Post
    Dell Laptop XPS13 7390
    With hardware as new as this 19.10 is probably a better option.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all your responses - I am grateful.
    First the Laptop came with Ubuntu preinstalled not Windows.
    Dell have confirmed that the Boot Option for external drives was removed because customers never used it.
    They admitted that they only have support for Windows and sent me off to get in touch with Canonical who promptly said they only support their own paying Enterprise customers.
    Dell are now searching for someone else to provide support - unbelievable !! The machine is only 3 moths old and still under warranty - yet they say its outside the return period. I say the return period is invalidated by the fact they only support Windows machines.
    So booting using the BIOS with an external drive is definitely out.
    So unless there is a way of using the Grub2 to boot or retrieving the GUI ( which I have tried unsuccessfully) the only other option is downloading the ISO and running from the ttty1 or Grub2.
    I am not too familiar with partitioning and constructing a menuentries - but willing to persevere - I have lost faith in Dell..

Beans
    Hidden!

1. The advice from the Dell helpdesk could be wrong - there might be a way to boot from an external drive (for example USB pendrive or memory card or DVD drive via USB).

2. Another option is to unplug the internal drive from your problematic Dell laptop, connect it to another computer and install Ubuntu into it while in that other computer. As long as you avoid proprietary drivers, the installed system will be portable, and it is likely to work, when moved back to your Dell laptop.

3. You could even tell the Dell support people to send a fresh internal drive with a working Ubuntu system already installed.

4. Several experienced Ubuntu users in the UK are active at our Ubuntu Forums. If you are lucky, you live close to someone, who might be able to help you, if you can can bring your laptop to her/him.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks sudodus for those interesting comments.
    Plugging in a USB or CD disc does not work.
    Not sure how I find an experienced user near Worcester UK = any offers out there?
    How do you unplug the internal drive ?

Is it worth trying another tackby converting to a Sever and then re-installing the GUI using something like
    sudo apt-get install tasksel
    sudo tasksel remove ubuntu-desktop
    sudo tasksel install server

Have tried
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

This gives a lot of errors about missing items.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried to enter BIOS and change boot device to USB?

Information from Dell support to enter BIOS:
    1 Entering BIOS setup program
    2 Turn on (or restart) your computer.
    3 During POST, when the DELL logo is displayed, watch for the F2 prompt to appear, and then press F2 immediately.
    4 NOTE: : The F2 prompt indicates that the keyboard is initialized. This prompt can appear very quickly, so you must watch for it, and then press F2. If you press F2 before the F2 prompt, this keystroke is lost. If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the desktop. Then, turn off your computer and try again

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast