Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Beans
    5,901

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    I did not realize the difference between Legacy and UEFI.
    You can find all the info on that subject regarding Ubuntu at the official documentation site below. Might be worthwhile to bootkmark it.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    228
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    menuentry "Ubuntu" {
    set root='hd0,gpt3'
    loopback loop (hd0,gpt3)/ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    Thanks for the example. But may I ask where will this persistent option store the persistency? Thanks.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    If there is a file with the name 'casper-rw' or in some (but not all) cases a partition with the label 'casper-rw', and it can be found during the boot process, it will be used for persistency.

    Edit: In the next LTS version, Focal Fossa to be released as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, the corresponding name or label will be 'writable', and a partition will work in more cases than in 18.04 LTS.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 16th, 2020 at 08:07 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    228
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    If there is a file with the name 'casper-rw' or in some (but not all) cases a partition with the label 'casper-rw', and it can be found during the boot process, it will be used for persistency.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Edit: In the next LTS version, Focal Fossa to be released as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, the corresponding name or label will be 'writable', and a partition will work in more cases than in 18.04 LTS.
    Has this already happened? My LiveUSB with the casper-rw partition no longer works (no longer boots). Please see:

    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2438655

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    228
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    Quote Originally Posted by ping-wu View Post
    Has this already happened? My LiveUSB with the casper-rw partition no longer works (no longer boots). Please see:

    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2438655
    I am answering my own question. The answer is YES, the persistent partition must now be labelled "writable" (and not "casper-rw") for the persistency to go into effect.

    I have just made a persistent Kubuntu 20.04 LiveUSB, and it works as expected. I am sure the same steps will work for Ubuntu 20.04.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    Yes, you are right: The version of Focal Fossa, that you get via the current daily iso files want the name/label 'writable'. This affects standard Ubuntu and all community flavours, because they use the same version of the casper package.

    You find more details at this bug report.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Beans
    5,901

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    But may I ask where will this persistent option store the persistency?
    As far as I can see, the OP had no persistent file/partition so I should have left that part out of the example I posted but using persistence is explained in the posts above.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    228
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yes, you are right: The version of Focal Fossa, that you get via the current daily iso files want the name/label 'writable'. This affects standard Ubuntu and all community flavours, because they use the same version of the casper package.

    You find more details at this bug report.
    Thanks a whole lot!!!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    228
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    menuentry "Ubuntu" {
    set root='hd0,gpt3'
    loopback loop (hd0,gpt3)/ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    BTW, have you ever recently encountered this bug (when booting directly from iso)?

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1851311

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Installing Ubuntu ISO by commands

    @ping-wu,

    Yes, This bug affects me and 13 other people (that grub 2.04 cannot boot from a loop mounted iso file).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •