Thread: HDMI not working in Ubuntu when directly connected, but works with a USB C dock

Beans

HDMI not working in Ubuntu when directly connected, but works with a USB C dock

Hello,

I'm having an unusual problem. If I connect an HDMI monitor directly to my laptop, a Dell Latitude 7280, I don't get any signal. I've tried it in at least three different TVs / interfaces, to no avail. Nothing happens. And at least in one instance Gnome crashed hard.

BUT I have a powered Dell USB-C dock. I have my HDMI monitor, and a third VGA monitor connected and they all work flawless. The laptop's BIOS is up to date. Thing is, it was working. I gave a presentation on this laptop during the fall last year and it worked. I went to do a presentation last week and it croaked.

What should I be looking at? I'm 100% in Ubuntu Linux, even for business. I don't want to run back to....Windows.

Beans

Re: HDMI not working in Ubuntu when directly connected, but works with a USB C dock

UPDATE: I burned a daily 20.04 LTS beta image to a USB stick and booted the laptop with it and tested it. It works with 20.04.

I guess I'll have to wait until 20.04 hits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HDMI not working in Ubuntu when directly connected, but works with a USB C dock

You can install it now then keep it updated.

Beans

I suppose I could. I tend to favor stability, though. I try not to run beta software on my 'production' (day to day) machines. April is about a month away. I'll hold for a couple of weeks.

Might be a good opportunity to upgrade the SSD on this one too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've been running Kubuntu 20.04 on a couple of machines for weeks now. Little buggy back toward the end of 2019, but it's pretty rock-solid now.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Good to know. My hand may be forced to do it soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have been running Xubuntu 20.04 on 3 different machines for the last 2 or 3 months. No issues to speak of.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/