Thread: Using dosbox in full screen mode messes up your resolution

Beans

Using dosbox in full screen mode messes up your resolution

If you're using dosbox under Ubuntu 19.10 (I'm guessing at the version as Xubuntu is still fighting with Gnome), you're going to have a major issue when changing to full screen inside a dosbox. It completely destroys your X settings in Gnome. I'm not sure why it happens and don't really care but they've known Gnome has serious issues with dosbox since 2014! The solution is surprisingly the Gnome code and to switch to xfce4. Not only is it massively faster on all GPU's but you don't have to put up with the Gnome. It's a different graphical interface, and takes some getting used to. But it IS the ISO standard for sharing desktops etc. The CE means common environment and was a standard before Gnome and systemd. It takes less space and resources, so do yourself a favor if you're using dosbox and: sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop There are some underlying Gnome anomalies I'll need to fix but steam games are faster, switching full screen or vice-versa in dosbox works fine, and the common desktop is great to see again. And the best part is you're using a UNIX-like system like it should be used: don't need to reboot every time something crashes. I'm not sure how dosbox is able to crash gnome completely forcing a reboot. I don't deal with that anymore, X works fine and dosbox works fine.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; March 19th, 2020 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Removed negative comments, please see forum rules

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Using dosbox in full screen mode messes up your resolution

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat since this is not a support request.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Using dosbox in full screen mode messes up your resolution

wine does it as well for some fullscreen titles. and that's not all, native engine for Jedi knight 2 (openJK and OpenJK Academy) can do that as well for wide screen. i use kde and don't get a full cash. i found the easiest way is to reset resolution in system settings after the game session or to logout and log back in (since i have it set to always start a fresh KDE session).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla