Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    11

    Angry Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    I'm having a problem with accessing root files on my mounted Mint hard drive and can't seem to find an answer. It's starting to give me a headache and I feel like I'm getting further away the longer I research.

    I'm using a 32 bit version of Win8.1

    I'm using EXT2 to mount my Mint Hard drive as read only. I can access the standard files fine. The only problem is that the HD isn't mounting as root. It's my understanding that I can root my HD with EXT2 using the UID and GID but I can't access those files through EXT2 as they're located on a SWAP partition.

    Is there a way to pull User Info from a SWAP partition externally?

    And it this even the correct process for doing this?

    I feel like I'm probably making this harder than it is, but then again, I'm tired and have been working on this for a good part of the day.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    EDIT: I can't boot from my HD and recover files the easy way because the older laptop that I have access too doesn't support USB 3.0 boot.
    Last edited by Creenome; March 9th, 2020 at 08:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Beans
    5,897

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    I am having a really difficult time making sense of your post?? Where is Mint? Is it an actual, full install of Linux Mint on an internal or external hard drive (which one please). How does windows 8 fit in? A default windows installation is incapable of reading or writing to/from any Linux filesystem. What does 'accessing root files' mean in your case? A standard user on Linux systems cannot access root owned files by design. Why are you trying to access those files in this manner? Why don't you just boot Mint to access them? Or is that the problem, that your boot has been messed up and you can't boot Mint? Is this your problem actually, you need to accesss/save file from Mint and are unable to boot it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I am having a really difficult time making sense of your post?? Where is Mint? Is it an actual, full install of Linux Mint on an internal or external hard drive (which one please).
    It's a full install of Mint Cinnamon on an INTERNAL HDD. My mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    How does windows 8 fit in?
    Windows 8.1 is the OS on the Host machine attempting to access the files on the Mint System.

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    A default windows installation is incapable of reading or writing to/from any Linux filesystem.
    If this was true I wouldn't be able to use EXT2 to pull any files from my Linux install. Which I can. I just can't access ROOT folders such as .gnupg

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    What does 'accessing root files' mean in your case?
    By accessing ROOT files I mean, reading them. To recover info.

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Why are you trying to access those files in this manner? Why don't you just boot Mint to access them? Or is that the problem, that your boot has been messed up and you can't boot Mint? Is this your problem actually, you need to accesss/save file from Mint and are unable to boot it?
    I need to pull my ~/.gnupg folder. I would boot from the HDD, but I cannot. My laptop does NOT support booting from USB 3.0 which my external HDD Dock uses. The install has zero issues.

    Futhermore, since GNUPG requires ROOT permissions(a login), I cannot access this information using EXT2.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    1,581
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    Perhaps we should start by clarifying the "EXT2" reference... I think you don't mean the EXT2 file system (old, pretty much everything uses EXT4 nowadays) but the ext2fs software, isn't it? This is a third-party (it means non-native) software/driver for the EXT2/3/4 file systems in Windows.

    If you want to recover data from an EXT4 partition you would be much better doing it from a live session (e.g. Mint installation USB) with the drive you want to retrieve data from also connected. Trying to do it from Windows with a tool that is known for occasionally corrupt partitions is absurd (can't think of a better word).

    And this smells a lot like a X-Y problem...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    As this doesn't appear to involve Ubuntu or any of the official Ubuntu flavours, I've moved this to the Mint sub-forum.

    A few comments, and then I'll step back.

    What do you mean by "using EXT2". Ext2 is a non-journalled filesystem. Your Mint partition will probably have the ext4 filesystem. Have you got some sort of ext2 driver on Windows? That's the last thing I would try - probably not try it at all. If you need to recover files from a Linux system, use a Linux system. Either plug the Mint HD into a running Linux system, or boot a live session of any distro you prefer, and mount the Mint HD from that.

    I think you're confused about the ./gnupg folder. If it's in your home as ~/.gnupg, then it is owned by your Mint user. If it's owned by root, then your Mint install is significantly damaged.

    Edit: second part of post ninja'd by CelticWarrior, who's phrased it better than I. I shall step back now and watch with interest.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

    Member: Not Canonical Team

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    @Creenome

    The "XY Problem" is asking about your solution (or perhaps why it hasn't worked), rather than asking about the problem itself.

    It is far easier for people to help if you "start from the start". That is: What were the symptoms of the problem that compelled you to seek a solution? I'm not sure that you have asked an XY question. That was just by way of explanation.

    Also, to the best of your ability, use terminology appropriately and carefully. If you don't know it, of course, just do your best.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by QIII; March 9th, 2020 at 08:26 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Perhaps we should start by clarifying the "EXT2" reference... I think you don't mean the EXT2 file system (old, pretty much everything uses EXT4 nowadays) but the ext2fs software, isn't it? This is a third-party (it means non-native) software/driver for the EXT2/3/4 file systems in Windows.

    If you want to recover data from an EXT4 partition you would be much better doing it from a live session (e.g. Mint installation USB) with the drive you want to retrieve data from also connected. Trying to do it from Windows with a tool that is known for occasionally corrupt partitions is absurd (can't think of a better word).

    And this smells a lot like a X-Y problem...
    I'm only trying to pull the .gnupg folder. Which is not showing up.

    To clarify, the EXT2 reference is pointing towards the program ext2fs. I realize this program can corrupt files, as to why I am only using it in read only mode. I'm not using it to write any info the the disk.

    I am running an ASUS x205ta, 64-bit processor but 32-bit UEFI firmware. This is stock. This is a backup PC and the only one I have access too.

    The only way I've been able to get Mint booted is through Virtual Box. And at that, I can't get my HDD to show up via USB with guest additions installed.
    Last edited by QIII; March 11th, 2020 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Default font

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    1,581
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    .gnupg is an hidden folder, hence the period.
    If ext2fs supports and respects this attributes it should keep the folder hidden also in Windows explorer. Not sure it works but perhaps you should try this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...w-hidden-files

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    .gnupg is an hidden folder, hence the period.
    If ext2fs supports and respects this attributes it should keep the folder hidden also in Windows explorer. Not sure it works but perhaps you should try this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...w-hidden-files
    Sometimes just talking to people helps me remember certain things, however this one is still stumping me.

    I realize the (.) in .gnupg means hidden, however its appearing the folder is completely gone. I have the other hidden files shown without any problems.

    Is there possibly something wrong with the .gnupg folder that isn't letting it be seen?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    1,581
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Mounting external hard drive(mint) as root to windows host

    Not sure how it works, whether that folder is part of a standard installation or created on demand... If this is a new installation that never booted then maybe the folder doesn't exist? Really, don't know. And I wonder why are you looking for that folder, what do you expect to do with it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •