Thread: Anyone using Protonmail ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone using Protonmail ?

Anyone using Protonmail ?

I opened an account yesterday and changed all my online accounts from Gmail to Protonmail.

The only problem is there is no easy way to use Protonmail with Thunderbird.

Read this. It is necessary to install a "Bridge". I don't install anything outside of the main repos.
    MX Linux 19
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Anyone using Protonmail ?

I use protonmail for temporary needs when I don't want to use any of my own domains. Like when signing up for a commercial, paid, VPN. Web interface only.

I use gmail only when dealing with my govt.

Besides those specific needs, I'll use email addresses at one of my domains. Have literally, hundreds and hundreds of different self-hosted email addresses. Those different email addresses get redirected into just a few that thunderbird accesses.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    . I use gmail only when dealing with my govt.
    Why is that ? There is a reason I am asking this.

In my country there is a vote/election related website where people get a chance to do things like correct their address (if wrongly printed on the voter's card etc. I just replaced my Gmail address with protonmail. I hope this wont cause any issues.
    MX Linux 19
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Why is that ? There is a reason I am asking this.

In my country there is a vote/election related website where people get a chance to do things like correct their address (if wrongly printed on the voter's card etc. I just replaced my Gmail address with protonmail. I hope this wont cause any issues.
    In my country, the local, state, and federal prosecutors go to google to get "geo-fence" warrants illegally. I consider those warrants illegal, regardless of what courts rule. My interpretation of our constitution doesn't always map to the interpretation by judges, however.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-him-n1151761

I don't want to stick out by not having a gmail address, though I seldom use it. I only want govt interactions, stuff already on the public record here, to be uncovered that easily. My android devices don't provide location data to google unless I'm travelling far from home. I go out of my way NOT to mix gmail with any of my other domans or email addresses. Someday, I hope my family learns this lesson without having to be burned by google first. https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/20/...york-times-nyt Would have linked directly to the NYT article, but they paywall stories after 7 day, it appears. Perhaps this will work: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ell-phone.html The images alone should scare people.
    Cell phones not actively being used belong inside Faraday pouches and shouldn't be removed anywhere near our homes or places of work.
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Yes, but a free account and only for a limited number of sites that require email .
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors