Thread: using "+" in email address in gmail

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

using "+" in email address in gmail

gmail lets its users receive email with "+" appended to the username part, ignoring anything that follows. so, email addressed to "foobar+whatever@gmail.com" gets delivered to "foobar@gmail.com". what i would like to know is how to send email with a "+" as the from: address or as the reply-to: address.
    Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: using "+" in email address in gmail

Have you tried simply changing your source address? I know Thunderbird and Mutt do this natively. Clawz I recall I had to something trivial but wasn't as easy.

Beans
    Distro

i don't see a way to do that in gmail.
    Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You'd need to do this outside of gmail and from a client. I also believe gmail allows for aliases, though I could imagine they wouldn't permit you to spoof another gmail address.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en

Beans

That's a shame.

Beans
    Distro

so, gmail doesn't have a way to use a tagged email address as the from/sender/reply-to address. to use a tagged email at a site that wants you to send email to register (not the safe way to do it) i have to switch to using a local client. can i continue the web usage, too, or do i need to switch everything to a local client?

Beans

You can try this.
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370

I just tried but the account I'm in doesn't allow it. Might work if you own the Gmail account.

Beans
    Distro

that isn't allowed for @gmai.com addresses.