Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant cups/printing issues

Beans

constant cups/printing issues

Hi all,
    trying to keep this as short as I can: I am in a conventional dell/canon printer environment, and while not an expert, and not completely new to linux either.

shortly after this fresh install of ubuntu...18.04......i experienced this:

cups installed and confirmed.

canon mfc634 showing up, along with some ghost of it (and a message that this ghost could not accept jobs)

tried to eliminate the ghost, but it never goes away, unless I unplug the printer (hooked up via its ethernet connection)

canon printer then disappeared (after working once) and now cups does not seem to be operating, despite a reinstall.

also just tried to install cups/pdf, and as what I believe to be an important "tell", got the following in terminal when I did:

Setting up printer-driver-cups-pdf (3.0.1-5) ...
    CUPS failed to reload its configuration!
    Skipped automated creation of the PDF queue.
    Processing triggers for cups (2.2.7-1ubuntu2.7) ...

no amount of trying to get the local host to come up via the browser, brings anything but an error, and I never can get to it.....and one poor wretch with the same problem, suggests a host corruption file, but I am afraid to mess with that, even if I can get to it.

I have tried numerous times to look for cups (which does appear to be still, installed, but unusable as the printer dialogue box says "it does not appear" that it is running.....used, literally, a half dozen "solutions" from others who have reported exactly the same situation, but to no avail....nothing I do allows me to print to anything but "file"..although that does seem to be working.

HELP..PLEASE......I am in a mission critical environment......the legal business where I do free work for people in trouble (let me pse leave it at that)....and I desperately need to fix this....coming here as I did from win 7, for obvious reasons.

I love ubuntu....and am so glad I am finally using it....but this is driving me insane as it is preventing me from doing my job.

thank you in advance for any assistance!

robert the appreciative
    Last edited by wildmanne39; March 8th, 2020 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: constant cups/printing issues

Thread moved to Hardware a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans

ps trying the canon printer, mf634, with usb, just resulted in lots of activity when I used this command: tail -f /var/log/syslog.....with the following end result:

Mar 8 20:08:30 parmad-Precision-7720 colord-sane: io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1

brian_p is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Put the printer on the network and give the outputs of
    Code:
    avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
    Code:
    avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
    Brian.

Beans

thank you, Brian,

below:

$ avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
    + enp0s31f6 IPv4 Canon MF632C/634C Internet Printer local
    = enp0s31f6 IPv4 Canon MF632C/634C Internet Printer local
    hostname = [Canone1ab44.local]
    address = [192.168.50.17]
    port = [631]
    txt = ["mopria-certified=1.2" "print_wfds=T" "rfo=ipp/faxout" "kind=document,envelope,postcard" "URF=ADOBERGB24,CP255,DM1,PQ4,RS300,SRGB24,W8-16,FN3,IS1-4,OB10-40,V1.4" "Fax=T" "Scan=T" "TLS=1.2" "usb_CMD=LIPSLX,CPCA" "UUID=6d4ff0ce-6b11-11d8-8020-f80d60e1ab44" "PaperMax=legal-A4" "Punch=0" "Staple=F" "Sort=F" "Collate=F" "Bind=F" "PaperCustom=T" "Duplex=T" "Copies=T" "Color=T" "TBCP=F" "Binary=F" "Transparent=F" "usb_MDL=MF632C/634C" "usb_MFG=Canon" "adminurl=http://Canone1ab44.local:80/airprint.html" "pdl=application/octet-stream,image/urf,image/pwg-raster,image/jpeg,application/pdf" "product=(CNMF632C/634C)" "ty=Canon MF632C/634C" "priority=10" "qtotal=1" "note=" "rp=ipp/print" "txtvers=1"]

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp:

$ avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
    + enp0s31f6 IPv4 Canon MF632C/634C _uscan._tcp local
    = enp0s31f6 IPv4 Canon MF632C/634C _uscan._tcp local
    hostname = [Canone1ab44.local]
    address = [192.168.50.17]
    port = [80]
    txt = ["Duplex=T" "is=platen,adf" "UUID=6d4ff0ce-6b11-11d8-8020-f80d60e1ab44" "cs=color,grayscale" "pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,image/jpeg" "representation=http://Canone1ab44.local/en/media/dev_icon_128x128.png" "adminurl=http://Canone1ab44.local:80/airprint.html" "rs=eSCL" "vers=2.62" "note=" "ty=Canon MF632C/634C" "txtvers=1"]

brian_p is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

The device URI for your printer is ipp://Canone1ab44.local:631/ipp/print. Substitute this in the next command. A print job may be sent to this URI by setting up a print queue like this:
    Code:
    lpadmin -p mf634 -v URI -E -m everywhere
    Test printing with
    Code:
    lp -d mf634 /etc/nsswitch.conf
    All is ok?
    Brian.

Beans

just getting back to my desk, and have a medical procedure tomorrow, so not sure when I can make sure I understand exactly what you are telling me to do, but kindly stand by.

meantime, can you please tell me why the normal print setup and use process for those of us less used to command line....click and print....which mean a lot to me here in the legal business.....are not working. to wit, how is it that the printer shows up after looking via terminal, but not any other way in a fresh install of ubuntu...... AND, please, why am I not able to invoke any localhost indicator via my browser?

again, thanks so much for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thought you're asking about CUPS because you had to use/configure the printer there. But now you say "click and print"?
    Normal users actually want exactly that and it should be easy, as easy as in Windows if not more.

Canon printers require proprietary drivers. Download and install them and the printer should be listed in "Printers" and you should be able to print from any software.

Beans

ok, decided to at least try this:

lp -d mf634 /etc/nsswitch.conf

the result was nothing...no activity at all...unless I am missing something. i put this in terminal exactly as you sent it....and it went right back to the basic prompt.

at risk of repeating, as I do appreciate what you are doing...i switched from mint to ubuntu figuring I would find more people to help me with issues......but even if all of this via terminal works, i need to understand why all the failures....per my questions, above, so I hope you will kindly take the time to address all that.

Beans

i was asking about that...sorry for confusion...as I have learned that front end GUI aside, CUPS is the basis for being able to print....and my attempts at reinstalling it have gone to naught when I look for this to show up in "click and print"...so i figured I ought to hit the basic, so to say, when asking for help.

and I figured that if cups....and the messages I am getting in the gui are that printing service does not "appear" to be present.......were made to work in the background, that all my click and print, etc., would naturally come back...so that is why i referred to it as i did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast