Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: step zero

Beans

Question step zero

Hello.
    Very new to Ubuntu.
    Still trying to install.

I downloaded the iso file for Ubuntu.
    When I clicked on it I was asked to burn to DVD.
    So I did.

I now have an approximately 2 GB file on a DVD.
    How do I use it to install Ubuntu?

I was told I can "dual boot" Ubuntu from a Windows computer, which is what I am trying to do.

But every time I click on the DVD I am asked what I want to use to open it.

When I explore the DVD there are a number of files, but clicking none of them starts any process.

What am I missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: step zero

Quote Originally Posted by seeker17 View Post
    I now have an approximately 2 GB file on a DVD.
    What am I missing?
    The install image is an image. Most burning software can handle those. That's what you need to do, rather than just copying the file onto a DVD. That will give you a whole bunch of files on the DVD with weird sounding names rather than a single file. You can then boot from that to try out or install Ubuntu.

You'll probably need to change a setting in the BIOS/UEFI to tell your computer to boot from the DVD drive rather than your hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This will explain how to burn the Ubuntu .iso file to a DVD:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    This is useful if you want to or must use an optical drive.

This will explain how to use a USB Flash Drive to install Ubuntu:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    This is useful if you do not have an optical drive and can boot from USB.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

And this explains how to set up a dual boot with Windows using GRUB2.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

you need to boot from the DVD or USB: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutoria...top#1-overview

before you commit to install, try it out. if you plan dual boot make sure you prepare the disk first with some free unformatted disk space.

windows 10 with secure boot complicates the install of additional OS. and you will likely install in UEFI mode: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

f you just want to toy around with Ubuntu, then i suggest an installation inside virtualbox: https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-in-virtualbox/
    this one is the safest option as it won't make any changes to current OS and you can just delete it after you are done playing.
    Last edited by mastablasta; March 10th, 2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Of course! Thank you everyone. I just realized that when I installed my old software into my new Windows 10 computer I neglected to install my burning software.
    I will do so immediately and burn the iso.

As far as booting from the DVD, I planned to install Ubuntu on my older Windows 7 computer. I've played around with Ubuntu years ago and am ready to commit to using it as a working computer.

I read the section on UEFI. I will be dual booting with Windows 7.

How does one get a computer with only Ubuntu on it? Does one have to buy it like that?

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll see how it works.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: step zero

How does one get a computer with only Ubuntu on it? Does one have to buy it like that?
    you can buy a dos desktop / laptop which basically means a computer sans an operating system, install ubuntu & during installation let ubuntu use the entire hard disk.

Beans
    Distro

It's not clear what you mean by that question. Nuke everything and just install Ubuntu is one of the options (it might even be the default option) in the installer.

Otherwise you can buy a computer with Ubuntu pre-installed, or build or buy a computer with no OS installed and then install Ubuntu onto it, or buy a computer with a different OS installed and install Ubuntu instead of that OS.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Thanks for the information about buying a computer with only Ubuntu on it (where?) or an computer with no operating system.

But it appears I have a more fundamental problem.

I installed Nero to burn a DVD of the iso but I guess I don't really know what settings to use.

None of what I tried would make a DVD that actually installed Ubuntu.Nero1.jpg Here is one of the Nero dashboards. If anyone is familiar with Nero and can tell me what to do I would be most appreciative.
    I did set to compilation and got a single file instead of an explorer set of individual files, but Windows asked me what program I wanted to use to open it. I guess i still created the wrong type of file.
    I really want to do this but I guess i am not creating the right type of DVD.
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As you already have a new Windows 10 computer, do you really need to keep your Windows 7 system? If not, you can simply wipe it and install Ubuntu. Simplest way is to use the Ubuntu installer and tell it to wipe the entire hard drive and install Ubuntu. It's the first option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast