Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: step zero

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: step zero

Quote Originally Posted by seeker17 View Post
    Yes, Impavidus, I could use the installer to wipe Windows 7 and install Ubuntu, but I like to do things in small steps.
    Just wiping Windows 7 and installing Ubuntu is easier than installing Ubuntu as dual boot. The small steps you want to take are larger than the steps I suggested. Note that this is only true because you already have a new computer with Windows 10. Dumping Windows altogether when first installing a Linux distribution is generally a bad idea.

2. I clicked "send to" on the file and sent it to my thumb drive.
    As told to you by others, that won't work. To give you a slightly simplified version of the technical details: to be able to boot from a usb drive or a dvd, you need a specific piece of software, called a bootloader, in a specific place on the usb drive/dvd. This bootloader is present in the .iso file, but if you simply copy the .iso file somewhere into the filesystem of the usb drive, it won't end up in the right place. So you have to "burn" it to the usb or burn it "as an image" to the dvd. This replaces the entire filesystem of the usb drive with the filesystem present in the .iso file, which will put the bootloader in the right spot, making the usb bootable. Same on a dvd: instead of creating a new filesystem containing an .iso file, you have to use the .iso file itself as the filesystem of the dvd.
    1. Do I have to erase everything else that was on the thumb drive?
    By replacing the filesystem on the usb drive, everything that was there will be erased automatically.

Beans

I am very excited.

I followed the Nero instructions that yancek was kind enough to provide. I was able to correctly burn an iso (no, I don't fully understand what an iso is, but the job is done!).

I rebooted, pressed F12 and the DVD installed Ubuntu on its own partition. The program updated and here I am.

I will look around this new (to me) OS, next time I a have a free moment.

I am sure I will have plenty to ask.

Perhaps I can now change the title of this thread to "Step One"!

Thank you everyone. And thank you Impavidus for that explanation about iso files. I think I am beginning to understand.

I'll be back.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Glad to hear you're up and running now.

(no, I don't fully understand what an iso is, but the job is done!).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

How does one get a computer with only Ubuntu on it? Does one have to buy it like that?
    Yes, you can buy a computer with Ubuntu installed - https://system76.com/
    You can buy one without any operating system installed - search for 'refurbished without OS'.
    You can replace your current HDD/SSD with a new one without OS - they are pretty cheap now.
    You can build one from parts - pcpartpicker.com

Have fun.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123