Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFW file type

Beans

SFW file type

Does anyone know of a utility that can read old Seattle File Works file types? (file-name.SFW). I have some old 3.5' floppy disks with family pictures from 1997 and I need some kind of utility that can read this SFW file type (and hopefully allow me to save my old pictures in a modern format). Thanks for any suggestions. Many Thanks John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: SFW file type

Websearching returns these links:

https://file.org/extension/sfw
    https://www.computing.net/answers/ma...mat/14603.html

They all involve running Windows apps. You may be able to run such apps with WINE, but why not just load them on Windows (borrow a friend's machine if necessary), convert them to a more universal format (like jpeg or tiff) and not look back? FWIW, this is why I still have an old, rarely used Windows install kicking around in a VM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

UPDATE:

One of the recommendations in the above thread was for this app: https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/#downloads

**CAUTION**
    I have no experience whatsoever with this app. It is purely the result of a web search. Use at your own risk. It involves the downloading of a third-party app from an unknown developer through an unknown website—all practices that I consider foolish—and so typically Windows-like. The tiny saving grace is that it has a native Linux version. Do your research on this vendor's dependability/integrity/competence. The usual cautions apply.

I recommend that you run it jailed in a VM, get your photos converted, then nuke it from orbit by rolling back to a pristine VM snapshot.

Beans

Wow!!! .... anyone else? I can't believe there is a file format the Linux world doesn't cover (open and read and convert). I swore off windows a long long time ago. I guess I'll keep looking. If anyone knows of anything please post a response. Many Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jgwphd View Post
    Wow!!! .... anyone else? I can't believe there is a file format the Linux world doesn't cover (open and read and convert). I swore off windows a long long time ago. I guess I'll keep looking. If anyone knows of anything please post a response. Many Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    …I recommend that you run it jailed in a VM, get your photos converted, then nuke it from orbit by rolling back to a pristine VM snapshot.
    I don't want to scare you off this app unnecessarily, especially when it looks like it could do the job for you. As helpers on this forum, we sometimes have to download and run apps that we know nothing about. When this is required, I use the method already referenced and requoted above: spin up a VM, download/install the app, run it while it is jailed within the VM, then roll back the VM to a clean snapshot afterwards. At the completion of this process, it's as if the download never happened. Provided you don't let your VMs access your LAN, there's not much real risk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have never used SFW (certainly used SWF) but according to here .. ImageMagick installed in Ubuntu can convert.

http://fileformats.archiveteam.org/wiki/ImageMagick

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+ Post #6
    I believe I converted some SFW images a few years ago using imagemagick.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Ok, I'll try "imagemagik"

A second question ...BTW, can anyone recommend any hardware that can read old 3.5" floppies. I do have a USB floppy drive reader I bought approx 15 years ago but I am only able to read 14 out of 37 disks. I get an error message on most of them saying "Error mounting /dev/sdb at media/... : can't read superblock on dev/sdb" I assume it might be a low signal level since the disks are over 20 years old and maybe ther is more sensitive USB reader that someone can recommend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From what I've been learning in retrocomputing channels in Youtube - not personal experience - the USB flopply drives only read/write late high-density 1.44MB diskettes. If the ones giving errors aren't then that's the reason.

But the most likely cause is diskette failure due to old age. Especially if those are from the last leg of the format. According to the "8-bit guy", diskettes manufactured in the late 90s or newer are pure rubbish.

Beans

I can't tell when the disks were manufactured, but the label on them indicates the picture files were created with the ".SFW" file extensions in October 1997. Isn't there some kind of "more sensitive" diskette reader that might help?

...or is there possibly some kind of software solution that might recover the picture files without any "official mounting" taking place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast