Thread: Problems after upgrading Lubuntu 16.04 to 18.04.4

Beans

Problems after upgrading Lubuntu 16.04 to 18.04.4

I recently upgraded from Lubuntu 16.04 to 18.04.4, but the upgrade didn't go entirely smoothly.

Problem 1: In the Lubuntu "Software & Update" tool, after selecting the "Other Software" tab, I can see but no longer check and uncheck repositories do disable/enable them. Nothing happens when I click the checkbox.

Problem 2: I now have both a "System Tools/Software Updater" icon and a "Preferences/Software and Updates" icon in my shortcut menu, and they both start the same "check for updates" utility.

Problem 3: The Synaptic Software Center icon is in my shortcuts menu, but it will not start, the cursor just stays at "busy" (spinning) without it loading. This is what I get when I try to start it from the command line:

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic ===
    Authentication is required to run the Synaptic Package Manager
    Authenticating as: Brent,,, (brent)
    Password:
    polkit-agent-helper-1: error response to PolicyKit daemon: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: No session for cookie
    ==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
    Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.
    Problem 4: There is no Lubuntu "app store" available anymore. The Software Center or "Software" option in my shortcuts (applications) menu. So without Synaptic or the Lubuntu Software app "store" I have no way of downloading or removing software through the GUI.

Problem 5: When I first turn on my computer, after the BIOS bootstrap screen I see a quick flash of a phrase "ERROR: NO SYMBOL TABLE" at the top of a black screen, then it goes into the early startup menu where I get to choose to boot from "UBUNTU" [even though I have Lubuntu - but this is normal] or "WINXP". Missing are the old options for the MEMTEST, etc. Then when I choose UBUNTU, it goes to a black screen which says at the top "Press ENTER TO CONTINUE...." (With the E and part of N cut off). I don't actually have to press enter or anything, it still seems to boot, however.

Can anyone please help? Thanks.
    Last edited by Brent_Santin; March 7th, 2020 at 05:25 PM.

Beans

Re: Problems after upgrading Lubuntu 16.04 to 18.04.4

Problem 1 seems to have resolved itself after logging out / in again several times after changing Policykit setting (see solution for Problem 3 below).
    Problem 3 fixed by starting Peferences/Default Applications for LXSession, choosing Autostart and check-marking "Policykit Authentication Agent".
    Problem 4 fixed by issuing the command: sudo apt install gnome-software

Problem 5 remains.
    Last edited by Brent_Santin; March 8th, 2020 at 06:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Problems after upgrading Lubuntu 16.04 to 18.04.4

This seems like typical problems related to upgrades.

Lubuntu has abandoned the LXDE GUI from the 18.04 days and uses now LXQT. If it were my system I would let go of the 16.04/18.04 hybrid and do a clean install of 19.10.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.