Thread: Problem upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 from 18.04

Beans

Problem upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 from 18.04

I tried to upgrade to 20.04 and it showed error at the end and upgrade was stopped. When I checked I found the upgrade to 20.04 was complete. After when I reboot it, the screen was stuck in black screen and when I boot in recovery mode with new 5.4.0-14-generic, there was issue regarding kernel panic error.
    So, I used 4.15.0-88-generic to boot and it worked. When I tried to "sudo apt-get upgrade" or "sudo apt-get autoclean" there was issue as follows:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-88-generic cp: cannot create regular file '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_KlyqiO/usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinner/watermark.png': No such file or directory E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/plymouth failed with return 1. update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-88-generic with 1. dpkg: error processing package linux-firmware (--configure): installed linux-firmware package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1 Setting up linux-image-5.4.0-14-generic (5.4.0-14.17) ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-generic: linux-image-generic depends on linux-firmware; however: Package linux-firmware is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing package linux-image-generic (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure. No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure. dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic: linux-generic depends on linux-image-generic (= 5.4.0.14.17); however: Package linux-image-generic is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing package linux-generic (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu1) ... update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-88-generic cp: cannot create regular file '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_ZIHLgn/usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinner/watermark.png': No such file or directory E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/plymouth failed with return 1. update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-88-generic with 1. dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure): installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1 No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already Processing triggers for linux-image-5.4.0-14-generic (5.4.0-14.17) ... /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms: * dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 5.4.0-14-generic
    Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...
    Building module: cleaning build area... 'make' -j4 -C ashmem KERNEL_SRC=/lib/modules/5.4.0-14-generic/build && make -j4 -C binder KERNEL_SRC=/lib/modules/5.4.0-14-generic/build.........(bad exit status: 2) ERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists: '/var/crash/anbox-modules-dkms.0.crash' Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.4.0-14-generic (x86_64) Consult /var/lib/dkms/anbox/1/build/make.log for more information. ...done. /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools: update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-14-generic cp: cannot create regular file '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_m9c6Ab/usr/share/plymouth/themes/spinner/watermark.png': No such file or directory E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/plymouth failed with return 1. update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-14-generic with 1. run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1 dpkg: error processing package linux-image-5.4.0-14-generic (--configure): installed linux-image-5.4.0-14-generic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1 No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
    Errors were encountered while processing: linux-firmware linux-image-generic linux-generic initramfs-tools linux-image-5.4.0-14-generic

I have tried many options that I found online like:
    sudo apt install linux-image-5.4.0-14-generic
    sudo apt-get install -f

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Problem upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 from 18.04

20.04, therefore thread moved to the Ubuntu Development Version sub-forum.

Unfortunately, your terminal output is near unreadable. I see that you have used BBcode indent tags, but that doesn't help. Somehow you have lost a large number of line returns. Please re-run the commands that produce that output and repost them, preferably directly. It's possible that a browser addon is interfering with the formatting, or using a Windows text editor as an intermediary can cause the same. Please also ensure that the output is between BBCode code tags - link in my sig if you need it.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I was able to fix the upgrade issue. But now, I have issue with sound, WiFi and video driver. Graphics shows “llvmpipe LLVM 9.0.1, 256 bits”. And there is no option to increase refresh rate. It is too slow. And there is no option for WiFi.

Beans

It seems everything is working on Ubuntu with kernel 4.15. It is while booting from new kernel that there are numerous problems. Is there any information that I need to add to solve this issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Think to clean the system to drop the old packages/settings no more needed which could disturbed the system:

sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    you can also install/use bleachbit to go further (use it as 'root' but carefully select items to run)

Beans

I have already done it. There is no change. Drivers are shown as unmanaged. Do I need to Install drivers again separately ? My laptop is dell inspiron 3421.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Problem upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 from 18.04

Finally it seems to be working. It seems linux-modules-extra was somehow not installed. So, I added it through "sudo apt-get install linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-14-generic".

Beans

I had the same issue, Kernel 4.15.0 booted ok, but 5.4.24 didn't.
    What I did to solve it was: `sudo dpkg --configure -a` which reconfigured something related to the kernel and initramfs. After this, I had a new kernel version: 5.4.25 listed among the startup options.
    Last edited by dwilches; April 20th, 2020 at 02:25 AM.

Beans

Upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 from 19.10 and 18.04 means that you don’t need to create a live USB of Ubuntu and do a fresh install. All you need is a good internet connection that can download around 1.5 GB of data.