Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu toshiba satellite a210 Failed to install Software & Upgrade

Beans

Question Ubuntu toshiba satellite a210 Failed to install Software & Upgrade

Hello ,

On my Toshiba satellite a210, I can NOT upgrade the ubuntu version
    and install & update software.

1) I try to upgrade to latest Ubuntu Version using USB stick, the system don't boot from USB, even I already configured the boot from USB in the BIOS.
    Looks like the laptop boot just ignores the USB stick.

I can do this successfully several years ago, at that time, I installed Ubuntu Linux to replace windows.

2) I can not install any software, such as Opera browser, etc.. I
    can't update the Ubuntu software center. and when I try to install the software using command line, report defect packages.

$ uname -a
    Linux joymartin-Satellite-A210 4.2.0-36-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 12 22:03:27 UTC 2016 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux

joymartin@joymartin-Satellite-A210:~$ uname -v
    #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 12 22:03:27 UTC 2016
    joymartin@joymartin-Satellite-A210:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 15.10
    Release: 15.10
    Codename: wily

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu toshiba satellite a210 Failed to install Software & Upgrade

Welcome.

Preamble:
    Ubuntu 15.10 is EoL, end of life, not supported, since mid-2016. Yes, of course, you can't install additional software because the online repositories no longer exist and it seems that on top of that you also have broken packages, probably due to "experiments"... Your OS hasn't received any security update since 2016 and because of that it's very dangerous to use connected to the internet.

Any attempt to release upgrade is out of the question! You could have upgraded some time after the release of Ubuntu 16.04 (LTS, supported for 5 years) and before yours expired. Had you do that you wouldn't have this problem now.

What to do now:
    Backup your personal files if you haven't done that yet (you should, of course). And then install from scratch a supported version, do not try an upgrade without formatting the root partition (if you have a separated /home it's fine, that can be reused although not really recommended because it also contains settings that you may no longer need and can create problems with newer software versions).
    In order to install from scratch you need to boot installation media so, let's focus on that:

How did you make the installation media? And please post your hardware specifications.

Beans

The OP seems to be having problems booting from USB stick, think someone will need to help with booting before he can upgrade as he tried to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    The OP seems to be having problems booting from USB stick, think someone will need to help with booting before he can upgrade as he tried to do.
    Exactly. That's why I ended with that.

Beans

Yes, this is exactly the problem, can NOT boot from USB stick or external CD-Driver, looks like there are some setting
    in the installed UBUNTU which block to start from external equipment. I already setup to boot from USB stick in the BIOS,
    but when start , it just ignore it, go straight to the harddisk boot. Because it can NOT boot from USB stick or external CD-ROM,
    thus I can NOT reinstall any OS. I suspect is there is some specific setting in the installed UBUNTU OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@safaia, are you the same user as the OP? If so you shouldn't have duplicated accounts. Please contact the admins to fix that.
    If not then you should open your own thread.

looks like there are some setting in the installed UBUNTU which block to start from external equipment (...) I suspect is there is some specific setting in the installed UBUNTU OS
    No, there isn't. This is completely wrong. Only users without the very basic understanding of the boot process would consider such an irrational hypotheses.
    Actually, BIOS or UEFI, boots before any OS. Whether or not it can boot external installation or live media has nothing to do with the installed OSes or a blank drive. Keep that in mind for the future, otherwise you'll be always following troubleshooting dead-ends. Again, How did you make the installation media?

Beans

I created a create bootable Ubuntu Live USB following the procedure at http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-os-usb-drive/
    I can use this bootable Ubuntu Live USB to work as OS to start my hp elitebook 840 laptop. But can NOT repeat the same things with thisUbuntu toshiba satellite a210,

This toshiba laptop just ignore my USB stick, bypass it and go to the harddisk OS directly. I missed some things ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by safaia View Post
    I created a create bootable Ubuntu Live USB following the procedure at http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-os-usb-drive/
    I can use this bootable Ubuntu Live USB to work as OS to start my hp elitebook 840 laptop. But can NOT repeat the same things with thisUbuntu toshiba satellite a210,

This toshiba laptop just ignore my USB stick, bypass it and go to the harddisk OS directly. I missed some things ?
    According to that old guide you created a full Ubuntu installation in a USB stick ("install real Ubuntu OS USB drive"). This NOT the same as a live USB...

HP EliteBook 840 is a modern UEFI based computer;
    Toshiba Satellite A210 is an old BIOS based computer.

An installed OS (not applicable to an actual live USB) made for one won't work on the other. There's a way to make it boot in UEFI and Legacy modes but I'm afraid it's too complex for even average users.

Beans

Thanks very much,
    The problem is with Toshiba Satellite A210,
    1)Now I know I am wrong because I think the Live USB and Installation USB is same thing. On HP EliteBook 840, Every time when I boot with this Live Ubuntu USB, it asked me if I want to
    install the OS, that make me think this Live USB can also be used to install the OS. I will follow the guide to generate a installation USB and retry.
    2) But on this Toshiba Satellite A210,
    I also try to install OS such as
    puppy linux, same things happened , just bypass the USB installation stick. I did use the same USB stick to install puppy linux on my Dell Inspiron 1150 successfully.
    I will create a installation UBUNTU usb stick and retry, hopefully this time will be OK.
    Thanks for all the help.

Beans

Hello CelticWarrior ,
    Thanks for the advice. will follow and correct it.
    Last edited by safaia; March 6th, 2020 at 09:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast