Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot Broken, Windows 7 won't Boot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Dual Boot Broken, Windows 7 won't Boot

Hey guys, I didn't take good notes so bear with me.

Dual Boot Fix Optiplex 9010 SFF: My assumption is that Windows 7 needs to be added to grub because I don't see it there. But honestly it's been a long time since I had to fix a dual boot with windows.

This all started when I changed the CMOS Battery. I think I made the mistake of inserting more RAM at the same time, never want to do too many things at once right, well I did.
    Number One Channel had two 4GB Chips and channel Two was empty. I put two matching 8GB Chips in Channel Two, not same brand but matching. Started the machine and went into the BIOS and Set the Time. I then tried to boot but Windows 7 would not boot. I rebooted and was able to boot Kubuntu from Grub. Kubuntu sees all the RAM, but I removed the extra ram just to narrow down what went wrong. I will try to list all the things I've done but my memory is not good.

1. Tried to Update Grub:
    2. Used Boot-Repair: I ran the Standard fix first. When that didn't work I ran the Fix MBR, when that didn't help I did the standard repair again.
    3. I've always used this to fix MBR first then go back and Repair Grub but this time it did not work. And now I have Two Windows 7 Entries in Grub but 7 still won't boot.
    4. At one point I lost the ability to boot Kubuntu but fixed it somehow.
    5. I looked to the best of my knowledge in Grub and don’t see a Windows 7 Entry. etc/default/grub
    6. At some point I also did a Windows 7 startup repair, ran it three times. And rebuilt the boot sector at at least once using these links.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ssing-fix.html

When that didn't work I did this one.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ot-record.html
    They both seemed to be succesful and this machine has had no problems in the past.

Here is my boot-repair pastebin

Got to go for now. Hopefully someone will teach me to understand how grub works a little better.
    Dell Optiplex 9010, i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB WD Black 2.5" HDD, Windows 7 Pro Kubuntu 18.04.1 Dual Boot, And confused as hell haha

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dual Boot Broken, Windows 7 won't Boot

Changing CMOS battery reset many or most UEFI/BIOS settings. As does an update to UEFI or BIOS.
    So you need to redo those settings. I update UEFI regularly so keep a list of several required and optional settings that I want.

Boot-Repair typically copies the main Windows boot files from its boot partition to main "c: drive" partition as users have deleted the boot partition not realizing it is required.

Update to grub then has found both sda1 & sda2 as bootable Windows.

Grub only boots working Windows, so if chkdsk or other repairs needed grub will not boot it.
    And you may have to temporarily restore a Windows boot loader or use you Windows repair disk to fix Windows.

Note that Windows 7 has expired and you really need either upgrade it or remove it.
    You do have newer UEFI system, but installs are in older BIOS boot mode.
    Microsoft has required vendors to install Windows in UEFI boot mode since when Windows 8 was released. A few Windows 7 systems were installed in UEFI boot mode.

Have you updated UEFI to latest version available?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

oldfred, good to see you again. I did look at the BIOS Settings and they all appear to be the same. Gotta leave now, will be back later gotta go. Didn't get an email for your post so need to look at my notifcations.
    Dell Optiplex 9010, i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB WD Black 2.5" HDD, Windows 7 Pro Kubuntu 18.04.1 Dual Boot, And confused as hell haha

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

BIOS is up to date

I already repaired windows bootloader as you can see in my first post, twice.

I don't think it is a Functional UEFI System. I thought some of the late Windows 7 computers came with somewhat neutered UEFI Systems. Either way it is not is use so what is the issue?

I'm keeping this Windows 7 Install. I have other computers, and clearly I have Kubuntu on this one also.

Do you have any fixes, because I don't see any so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm not getting email notifications from this forum?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do not use email notifications. I just use search & my username.
    There should be a setting somewhere.

You should update to newest available UEFI.
    Spectre virus, repoline
    Almost all systems need UEFI updates, anyway, for mitigation of Meltdown and Spectre CPU vulnerabilities from cpu speculative execution and caching.

Not sure what issue you still have.
    Grub shows Windows.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm getting notifications now. I reviewed all my settings but it was already set for me to get notifications from this forum, don't know why it wasn't the first time?

I said BIOS is all up to date! And I don't' believe in all the Spectre Hype/Fear Mongering. I have multiple computers without those patches and they all been free of any attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by jetman350 View Post
    And now I have Two Windows 7 Entries in Grub but 7 still won't boot.
    This has nothing to do with UEFI, Spectre or Ditching Windows 7. It is a Dual Boot Fix Question. I have the Windows 7 Entries but it won't boot. I can't imagine needing to run chkdsk or anything else on a pristine windows 7 install, new WD Black Drive (purchased directly from WD) and a new install of Kubuntu. My only fault was not imaging stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

this is a windows issue. GRUB is before windows boot. so first it's BIOS, then grub, which only directs the PC where to boot from, then it hands over to Windows boot loader.

so let's assume GRUB directs the boot to windows boot loader, what does windows say when it tried to boot? what does it mean windows does not boot? any error messages? are you saying that windows boots normally after you fix the windows master boot record?

pastebin is blocked where i work. is windows 7 on separate disk? if so, will it boot if you disconnect or disable linux disk drive? if it's not on separate disk, then when you fix the MBR form windows that action usually overwrites GRUB and then PC boots windows only.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The disadvantage of BIOS dual booting is that when Windows needs repairs and then grub does not boot it, you have to temporarily restore the Windows boot loader to MBR to directly boot it. Then after fixing Windows restore grub to MBR.

With newer UEFI, it is like having multiple MBR, even with one drive. Then you can directly boot install of choice from UEFI. And then when grub will not boot Windows, you can boot it from UEFI.

Windows 7 is not supported by Microsoft anymore. You may need updated drivers or other updates that were in a previous install, but not in an older install DVD.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not getting Notifications again, grrrrggggg haha.

Yes, I've repaired MBR First in the past, once windows boots then run the boot-repair tool and all was fixed.

Every tool I've run says it is successful but still no 7 boot.
    I'm trying this now, #5
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/6183...7-to-grub-list

Windows 7 was a clean install with a Retail image that is known to be good over dozens of installs, and all updates have been accepted. I'll keep plugging along because this was the Windows 7 Install that I wanted to keep around. At the same time would love to run Linux off the same pc, but if I could just get Windows to boot I would be happy with just that.

Repeat, the guys on the Dell Forum told me this BIOS Does Not Support UEFI! Though I have not tested that advice I will eventually.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast