Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot Broken, Windows 7 won't Boot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Dual Boot Broken, Windows 7 won't Boot

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    what does windows say when it tried to boot? what does it mean windows does not boot? any error messages? are you saying that windows boots normally after you fix the windows master boot record?

pastebin is blocked where i work.

is windows 7 on separate disk?
    Sorry, I missed your post!

I get that screen that wants me to do a Startup Repair every time, but no matter how many times I do it still no Windows 7 Boot.

I can copy some of pastebin for you if you tell me which part you would like to see.

Windows 7 is on same disk as Kubuntu and Before Kubuntu, as in installed before Kubuntu.

I've successfully repaired MBR more than once, and don't think there was in issue with it to start with.
    Dell Optiplex 9010, i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB WD Black 2.5" HDD, Windows 7 Pro Kubuntu 20.04 Dual Boot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Here is what my etc/grub.d/40_custom looks like now as followed by this link, #5
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/6183...7-to-grub-list

Code:
    #!/bin/shexec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    chainloader +1
    }
    I'm still trying things, so if you want me to stop and follow some directions just say so.

I also implemented a script into grub that allows the last OS that was booted to boot again automatically next time computer is turned on. I think I will remove that for now.
    Dell Optiplex 9010, i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB WD Black 2.5" HDD, Windows 7 Pro Kubuntu 20.04 Dual Boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The most important question is still unanswered: Does windows boots normally after you fix the windows master boot record?

If it does then reinstalling Grub should be enough to boot Windows and Ubuntu. If it doesn't then something else is wrong with that Windows and Grub obviously won't solve it, Grub can only boot working Windows.

And again, STOP using Windows 7.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"The most important question is still unanswered: Does windows boots normally after you fix the windows master boot record?"
    It has been answered multiple times? NO, NO, NO. Windows 7 goes to the black screen that asks to do a Startup Repair or Start Windows normally.

"And again, STOP using Windows 7"
    Please refrain from telling me to "STOP" using Windows 7, it's annoying, unhelpful and has nothing to do with the issue.

I've Run chkdsk /r from install media also and there were no issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jetman350 View Post
    It has been answered multiple times? NO, NO, NO. Windows 7 goes to the black screen that asks to do a Startup Repair or Start Windows normally.
    So you MUST, MUST, MUST repair it by booting Windows installation media. Specific instructions for that can an should be obtained from specialized Windows support resources. Ubuntu Forums certainly ISN'T one of those resources.
    This problem is entirely Windows. Again, Grub can only boot working Windows, Grub will NOT and CANNOT fix your Windows 7 corruption, you need to repair or reinstall it. Then, and only then, you should reinstall Ubuntu or just Grub. Are we clear now?

Please refrain from telling me to "STOP" using Windows 7, it's annoying, unhelpful and has nothing to do with the issue.
    I won't, it's for your own and everybody else's good.
    Obsolete OSes without security updates are very dangerous if used connected to the internet. Even running it in a VM isn't recommended but at least it's a little more contained and snapshots are easy to use if you must recover a working system after a problem that is not a question of "if", it's a question of "when", happens.

In summary, I hope you realize you're asking us to solve a problem that is completely foreign to Ubuntu and on top of that is about an obsolete version of Windows!
    Last edited by CelticWarrior; March 6th, 2020 at 05:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Okay, here is the fdisk outcome. Look at where the boot loader is, on Windows 7 C Drive!

Just noticed this also, is this normal? HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

I'll have to boot my other dual boot and see.

Also, in Terminal this is all in RED, the line at the bottom: Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 465.8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectorsUnits: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xf3ed0f9d

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 206847 204800 100M 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 * 206848 314785791 314578944 150G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 314785792 364785663 49999872 23.9G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 364787710 564785151 199997442 95.4G 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 364787712 564785151 199997440 95.4G 83 Linux

Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Linux does not tell which type of Windows format it is.

Phyiscal sector boundary is a requirement for newer 4K drives. Most now are gpt so if you have that message with a gpt partition drive it is an issue.
    But with MBR, you cannot write into the extended partition, only primary & logical partitions. So you get an error on the extended partition and can ignore it.

Still only a Windows issue. A Windows 7 install disk is probably obsolete as it would do many updates online. But now that it is not supported, you do not get those updates. May be drivers, or just fixes to various issues.

Since really Windows moving to Windows sub-forum.
    Last edited by oldfred; March 6th, 2020 at 07:05 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jetman350 View Post
    Look at where the boot loader is, on Windows 7 C Drive!

Just noticed this also, is this normal? HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    Yes, pretty normal.
    No, not a bootloader problem. When the OS starts the bootloader (or chain of bootloaders) already did its job correctly. If problems arise at this stage like the ones you already mentioned that mean a problem in that OS' system partition, nothing to do with bootloaders, certainly not with Grub that merely chainloads to the Windows bootloader, and likely not with the Windows bootloader itself because it points to the correct location and Windows starts.
    Whatever happens after the bootloaders release control to a given OS, it's exclusively the fault of that OS.

This has been explained multiple times and in different ways: It's a Windows problem. You need to boot Windows installation media and use the recovery environment to try to repair Windows or, failing that, reinstall.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I understand, but just can't imagine how Windows got messed up just from changing the CMOS and Adding RAM?

Most Windows guys don't know about Dual Booting so I'm not to hopeful they will help. And I ran chkdsk C: /r and no errors. I guess I need to poke around further, maybe run sfc /scannow. I would really like to recover this system as I have so much time into it. I will forever Image it after this...Doh!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Linux does not tell which type of Windows format it is.

Phyiscal sector boundary is a requirement for newer 4K drives. Most now are gpt so if you have that message with a gpt partition drive it is an issue.
    But with MBR, you cannot write into the extended partition, only primary & logical partitions. So you get an error on the extended partition and can ignore it.

Still only a Windows issue. A Windows 7 install disk is probably obsolete as it would do many updates online. But now that it is not supported, you do not get those updates. May be drivers, or just fixes to various issues.

Since really Windows moving to Windows sub-forum.
    Got it!

Thanks, it is MBR

Your moving this? I see, you already moved it haha. Okay, hope I can get er fixed at some point. No rush as I have more computers but I have lots of time in this and was wanting to keep using Windows 7 offline for as long as possible. I always preach to others to Image, Image, Image. But I couldn't imagine this happening to me lol.
    Last edited by jetman350; March 6th, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast