Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installer error: could not unmount partitions in mount point cd/rom

Beans

Re: Installer error: could not unmount partitions in mount point cd/rom

Thanks Fred,

I think I get the idea, it looks like among other things, that the hard drive has to be formatted so that when the OS is actually installed on the drive the OS can interact with the BIOS or UEFI, correct? One question, are any of the suggestions you or yanckek have made (updating firmware, partitions, partition table, linux file system for partition(s), Xubuntu UEFI install, etc) irreversible? I am thinking they are probably not irreversible, but I just want to double-check for my friend's sake. I don't want to mess up his PC.

Thanks,

A.

Thanks,

A.

Beans

I'm not sure about the 'updating firmware' in the BIOS, someone else should be able to help. Creating partitions and filesystems and modifying there sizes can all be changed very easily with various software including GParted. The biggest problem with these activities is losing data should not be a problem in this case as there is not data. Once you have an OS installed and data on the various partition filesystems, you need to be more careful as these actions can delete all data, at least from the perspective of an ordinary user.

Have you verified the hardware is UEFI? If you are not familiar with the use of GParted, reviewing their manual at the link below should be helpful.

https://gparted.org/display-doc.php%...%3Dhelp-manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have seen some users downgrade an UEFI to get it to work. Later updates fixed that issue and then upgrades were good. Multiple Acer users.

I also have seen where an UEFI update said that this update could not be downgraded. But previous updates had not had those comments.
    Generally you want the newest UEFI and list fixes may not include all the fixes that are included in an update.
    Last year you had to have a new update for AMD newer systems as it did not work with Linux without update. And then only with 19.10 or newer.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you Fred and Yancek,

I like to understand what I am doing, so I greatly appreciate your advice, and I have started reading and increased my understanding. But sometimes a good/exhaustive understanding of a computer activity is kind of a luxury. So, in the last 24 hours or so, I am wondering if there is any kind of cookbook type instructions for installing Ubuntu (in this case Xubuntu) on a new SSD.

QUESTION(S): Does Ubuntu/Linux have anything like that? I guess the link Fred gave at the end of his post above might qualify as leading to such a cookbook.

It seems to me that the manufacturer of the SSD, Samsung, might have such a thing as well. Does anybody think Samsung might have cookbook type instructions for installing an OS like Ubunutu on a SSD?

Thanks,

A.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; March 7th, 2020 at 02:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installing on a SSD is no different than any install to a HDD, flash drive, or MMC devices.
    And you have two types of SSD, standard SATA and newer, faster NVMe.
    But with SSD, you do have upgradeable firmware.

I just partitioned in advance, used Something Else to install. I only needed ESP & / (root) as I had all data on HDD.
    But newer NVMe drive was larger & my data is not that large, so I created new data partition on SSD and moved/rsync'd data to SSD. HDD is now mostly for backup and some experimental installs.

Link below has general steps to install in UEFI mode. Links to lots more info and some special cases by brand.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

As it turned out my friend decided he wanted Windows 8, not Ubuntu on his machine for the time being. He is the typical Windows person who doesn't question things much. But I may use the information here for a later installation of Ubuntu if we run into problems with Windows.

Anyway, he has Windows 8 on his PC for the time being.

Thanks to everybody.

A.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12