Thread: ubuntu 18.04 - terminal command to change dns nameserver

Beans

ubuntu 18.04 - terminal command to change dns nameserver

Hi,

I used to modify:

/etc/resolv.conf

but that does not do the trick anymore - bad news for me.

Is there a terminal command that I can put in a bash script to change dns servers?

I need to set the dns to 192.168.11.11 to block access to the internet while I update my grub install without downloading updates from the internet.

I then want to switch the dns back to 192.168.1.1 for web browsing.

Things have changed and I can't seem to figure anything out - I'm using ubuntu 18.04 desktop - files inside /etc/netplan did not do anything.

I can switch things in the network manager gui but I need a bash script option.

Big thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu 18.04 - terminal command to change dns nameserver

resolv.conf is controlled by one of many different possible management tools, because letting humans edit the file was too hard. If you are using network-manager to control those settings, then you need to use network-manager to change them. There is an nm-cli program.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

systemd-resolved took over the old resolv.conf. It's not good. But you can disable it and go back to the old way. In my case I got a performance increase with DNS resolving. How to:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9072...lved-in-ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I'm havaing the same problem, trying to change and get rid of Google crap and Mozilla's change to utilize ONLY CloudFlare DNS servers. So much conflicting info, and there is nothing in my NetPlan folder. So just how can we find out what is changing, modifying, utilizing other cross-scripts etc. on our computers? Even the above (quoted below) has conflicting info that didn't work for everyone in that thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by webaake View Post
    There should be definitive documentation on this subject matter. I'm running Xubuntu & UbuntuStudio v18.04 LTS. Anyone have a clue? for the rest of us!?!? If so, please post a Link to it and make it a STICKY. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rick St. George; March 6th, 2020 at 12:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps this is the documentation? https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages...1/nmcli.1.html
    If you have nmcli installed, that information is already on the machine.
    Code:
           nmcli con modify ABC +ipv4.dns 8.8.8.8
               appends a Google public DNS server to DNS servers in ABC profile.
    Because Ubuntu is highly customizable, there are multiple different DNS solutions. Swapping out the systemd one isn't hard, if that is what your system is using instead of network-manager. Been using dnscrypt-proxy here for about a year on desktops.

Google found this for xubuntu 18.04: https://docs.xubuntu.org/1804/user/C...-networks.html
    Looks like they use nmcli.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Here's a link to the original resolvconf, the basic DNS resolver that's been forever: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolvconf

As a side note; systemd seems to engulf more and more of system services and it is harder to configure manually than for example a simple resolv.conf file. Or /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

Beans

On modern distributions that use systemd-resolved for name resolution, you can control the servers it consults by modifying the "DNS" and "FallbackDNS" lines in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf. You could maintain two copies of that file and choose the one you need when you want to change servers. You'd need to run "sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved" after you've made the change.

See "man resolved.conf" for more details.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; March 6th, 2020 at 06:59 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users