Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck at the very beginning

Beans

Stuck at the very beginning

I am new to Ubuntu and am trying to install Nagios on Ubuntu 18.04 desktop

I am following LHAMMONDS link and get an ERROR : CANNOT VERIFY GITHUBS Certificate !
    use '--no-check-certificate'
    How ?
    I cannot therefore download Nagios

Any advice please

Beans

Re: Stuck at the very beginning

Nagios is available in the Ubuntu repositories. Is there some reason you don't want that version. What is "LHAMMONDS"? Some tutorial site? If it is you might post a link to it.

https://kifarunix.com/how-to-install...-ubuntu-18-04/

Beans
    Hidden!

I assume weevie56 is talking about this thread
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....ammonds+nagios

However, I will have to leave it to others using servers to come to the rescue here for more help, though I note that the linked thread is now 8 years old (for 12.04) so may be very outdated and need some edits or changes.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Nagios is available in the Ubuntu repositories. Is there some reason you don't want that version. What is "LHAMMONDS"? Some tutorial site? If it is you might post a link to it.

https://kifarunix.com/how-to-install...-ubuntu-18-04/
    I am aware that Nagios is available - ALL over the place - but am experiencing incredible difficulty installing Nagios
    Is there any reason why Nagios should not install on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS desktop
    I am unable to access ROOT !
    Also - the damned thing won't connect to the net for updates - I have added a ssl cert and it allows browsing - but not system updates
    Any help welcome
    Last edited by weevie56; March 4th, 2020 at 11:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by weevie56 View Post
    but am experiencing incredible difficulty installing Nagios
    Is there any reason why Nagios should not install on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS desktop
    Only if you aren't installing from the official repositories. Again, why not?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Only if you aren't installing from the official repositories. Again, why not?
    I am installing from official repositories - but cannot even figure out why the Software updater will not allow any updates
    I have checked SETTINGS and all is correct - but when I try updating - I get "FAILED TO DOWNLOAD PACKAGE FILES - Check your internet connection"
    Download from Server for UK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That message indicates you have other issues with software, like broken packages and/or incorrect PPAs.

Please check with
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    The error messages in full are helpful to troubleshoot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

When the described problem comes up, it's likely a down server. Go to Software Sources (iirc) and click "test servers." I have gotten good results from the MIT repos; of course, I do live in New England...

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Instead of guessing what could be the problem, let's have a look at some actual commands and their output. Error messages tend to be really helpful on Ubuntu. Can you show us the exact and complete output of these commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt install nagios3
    I assume the nagios3 package is what you need on Ubuntu 18.04.

If you're unable to "access root", we have to find out why. Maybe your system is completely messed up, maybe you have a very basic misunderstanding of how sudo works, or one of many possibilities inbetween. In the second case, reading this may clear up some things: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Beans

I am now ROOT !!
    I am trying the package manager and (on a new/clean installation of Ubuntu 18.0.4) I get an error "Unable to fetch some archives ............" when I try running # apt-get -y install apache2 php php-cgi libapache2-mod-php php-common php-pear php-mbstring
    I have run apt-get update - which appears to update most - but on re-running
    # apt-get -y install apache2 php php-cgi libapache2-mod-php php-common php-pear php-mbstring - STILL gives same error !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast