Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and Firefox ~ Help, please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Ubuntu and Firefox ~ Help, please

Hi happy people

My question is if anyone has time to help me figure out a couple of things, and how we should communicate.
    I am thinking just following this thread is the easiest.. Well, I will start my questions now as follows:
    I have too many passwords.
    I have a couple of users on my Ubuntu system,. the Admin and another user that I am going to use now, and I will explain why in my question.
    The thing is that I have sooo many passwords that I need to find in a physical book I have. This can be very inconvenient.
    What I would like is to have one master password (I Guess it is a web browser(firefox) thing, but any way I could store the passwords and
    retrieve or view them from is fine I guess. Wow, imagine if I could set it up in the web browser as well. So my question is really what
    application to use. But also how Ubuntu and firefox are connected and some help along the way to set up the most easy and convenient
    solution for me.

Greetings to all from Sigurd!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and Firefox ~ Help, please

I have too many passwords.
    I swear by Keepass. It is portable, the databases are cross platform compatible, and completely encrypted, not stored in the cloud. By portable I mean you can run it from a USB stick. There are other password managers, Keepass rocks, only remember one password ever again.

https://keepass.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lockwise is a built-in feature since version 70.0.

More security protections from Firefox Lockwise, our digital identity and password management tool:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
    Last edited by walts48; March 2nd, 2020 at 04:00 PM.

Beans

I use lockwise, built into firefox. I you have more than 1 person using your computer, make sure they have their own firefox account, then enable master password. By doing that, you must use your master password to log into firefox. This keeps others from using your passwords. If you let others use your firefox, then an outside password manager would be in order. I can't offer help in that area because I only use lockwise, but I know there are a lot out there. I like lockwise, because I can log into firefox from my phone, or someone elses computer, and all my passwords are right there, no need to carry a thumbdrive with me. Best of luck to you.
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 22.04.1, fully updated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i use keepass2, but there are also keepass, xkeepass and few others. cross platform. one password or password+key or just key (e.g. on USB) to unlock them all.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

For most people's computers, if you are the only person who uses your deck, choose a simple password to log in, which will be just about as hard to guess as a longer one; I use a 4-character password to get into the system myself. Yes, though, a password manager can be a huge help.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    For most people's computers, if you are the only person who uses your deck, choose a simple password to log in, which will be just about as hard to guess as a longer one; I use a 4-character password to get into the system myself. Yes, though, a password manager can be a huge help.

it's not for the OS, it's for the browser. And although we do have Gnome Keyring and KDE wallet for these, they are not necessarily portable to other OS.

with keypass you can securely transfer website password database to for example android OS or to windows.

the OS password is just a hurdle for the malware. on desktop maybe it is not as important as on server where ports are usually open and where remote access is regularly made.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you. My telephone operator suggested the same thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I drink my coffee at "Starwars Coffe" not the starbucks. I like that.
    Rock on! Drink coffee whatever you prefer Cheers!

Beans

Keepass is one of the most valuable apps available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast