Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing and understanding WINEARCH=win32 on 64bit system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Installing and understanding WINEARCH=win32 on 64bit system

I have installed Wine-3.6 on my 64bit Ubuntu 18.04. It works with Irfanview 64bit.

I have ACAD2000, 32 bit. I have read a number of posts and understand to use it in Wine I must invoke WINEARCH=win32, but I do not under stand how it all goes together. I have of course, the ~/.wine directory. What I want to know is how to properly implement the WINEARCH=32 thing, and not mess up what I have.

So, I understand I would enter on the cmd line WINEARCH=win32 PREFIX=~/utility/apps_wine/ACAD2000/setup.exe. And from what I gather this will place an ACAD2000 icon on the Desktop that can be clicked to execute ACAD2000? An Irfanview icon is on the desktop that I click to execute 64bit Irfanview.

Is that all there is to it, or do I have to do something that will guard the existing ~./wine? I believe I read somewhere that the ./wine directory should be renamed? If true, if I do that, what does that mean for execution, ie, the need to execute one program in 64bit and the other in 32bit?

This is all kinda wordy, but hopefully characterizes what I do not understand. (this was all so easy back in 16.04, both apps 32bit, and Wine showed in the gnome-classic pull down menu)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Installing and understanding WINEARCH=win32 on 64bit system

if you have a prefix and then change it to 32 bit it will become 32 bit. you can run multiple prefixes at the same time. i use Play on linux for easier management of prefixes. each game or program is installed in separate prefix. most i have are 32 bit ones.

this is showing how it looks like:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/5000...-bit-or-64-bit

you can also easily change the prefix onto 32 bit one or vice versa.

edit: this of prefix as being a pretend windows C:\ drive or a separate windows install. it's not that really, but it will help you imagine how things work. so if you put various stuff in the same prefix this would be like loading it all into same c: drive in windows.

so if you separate the prefixes, then it's like having separate virtual machines (they are not really emulators), separate windows PCs each with one app loaded.
    Last edited by mastablasta; March 2nd, 2020 at 09:34 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

I appreciate your response, but I really need lots more hand holding (and I did look at the link you provided) - like maybe step by step after making the WINEARCH entry.

So I have Irfanview icon on the Desktop(actually not sure how I got it there as had a lot of difficulty getting WINE to install), and I can execute it. If I enter for my PC "WINEARCH=win32 PREFIX=~/utility/apps_wine/ACAD2000/setup.exe", where/how do I execute ACAD2000? And after closing ACAD2000, how do I execute Irfanview, same as before with Desktop icon?

In 16.04 my gnome Applications drop down menu had wine listed, and I could execute either program there. Alternately, I could click on the Desktop icons and execute them. I did look at the link below which indicates establishing .wine32 and .wine64 directories? Then one would launch programs thru the appropriate "bit" directory? If so, I am a long way from understanding how to set this up and launch each of the programs by this method.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1771...it-wine-prefix

mark
    Last edited by mark bower; March 3rd, 2020 at 03:38 AM. Reason: always trying to make things clearer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mark bower View Post
    I did look at the link below which indicates establishing .wine32 and .wine64 directories? Then one would launch programs thru the appropriate "bit" directory?
    that is correct. but you would launch it from the shortcut you created where you would tell which wine prefix to use and where to launch form. and to manage all these in a more easy way i prefer the GUI interface that play on Linux (available in software center) provides. just their scripts don't seem to always work so i install programs using a link to install nonlisted program. it worked really well so far.

Play on Linux is in repositories (Ubuntu software center)
    Crossover is paid for solution with a GUI. more stuff works here and is preconfigured. pricey, but it makes sense for professional users.
    Lutris is a launcher that comes with preconfigured scripts.
    Steam Proton - well, more made for games, but it still offers interface for easy install of other things.

Beans
    Distro

I made a clean install of WINE 5.0. I renamed ~/.wine to ~./winesave. I can launch 64bit Irfanview from desktop .exe file. I then cmd line entered the following which a post says will create separate win32 and win64 environments:
    1) WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32 wine cfg, and
    2) WINEPREFIX=~/win64 winecfg

1) opens the wine GUI configure menu, but does not allow me to select win98, which I need
    2) opens and shows the same options as 1)

So what do I do to launch either 32 or 64bit, or what needs to be done differently?
    Last edited by mark bower; March 4th, 2020 at 02:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
    then run

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 your_32bit_executable.exe
    q: do you have 2 prefixes made?

1. you can run winecfg after install.
    2. check if you need winetricks and any additional libraries installed.
    3. OMG windows 98!!!!

i love irfanview! nomacs is a very good alternative. : https://nomacs.org/

Ubuntu and Linux Mint

• nomacs is available in the “universe” repository of Ubuntu. Just install it using your favorite package manager.
    • translations can be added with sudo apt-get install nomacs-l10n
    if you need newer version or beta, there is a snap available. : https://snapcraft.io/nomacs

ACAD2000
    HOWTO
    Â*Â*by NSLW on (March 26th 2009)
    Installing

1. Use recent version of Wine(tested on Wine-1.3.9)

2. Download winetricks by following command
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

3. Install required components by following command
    sh winetricks corefonts mdac25 tahoma win2k

It will take some time because winetricks will download all above components
    4. Change Screen Resolution in Wine configuration by typing

winecfg

Then go to Graphics tab and change Screen Resolution from 96 to 108
    (workaround given by Sheaff)
    5. navigate to your AutoCAD 2000 CD and run
    wine setup.exe

PlayOnLinux way

You can install your AutoCAD 2000 using PlayOnLinux (some kind of gui for Wine). I think it's the easiest and cleanest method because script will install AutoCAD with service packs in separate prefix automatically. To do so you'll need:

1. PlayOnLinux

Beans
    Distro

O.K., more to try. ACAD2000 is of the 1998 era, but works great on WINE with Win98. I like Irfanview because it is intuitive. Eventually I may try PlayonLinux, obviously you are very comfortable with it. But really, I only have just the two programs I use on WINE.
    Last edited by mark bower; March 4th, 2020 at 09:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I now have two prefixes: .wine32 and .wine64. But WINEPREFIX combined with WINEARCH errors as follows:

mark@mark:/$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 ~/Desktop/ACAD2000/setup.exe
    bash: /home/mark/Desktop/ACAD2000/setup.exe: No such file or directory

I have also tried using /home/mark/Desktop/ACAD2000/setup.exe, and same error. I do not know what the problem is?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

nomac is really very similar to irfanview and me and my wife had no issues in switching to it. but yes, irfanview is a really good app and has some awesome plugins.

no, winearch will just assign the architecture to specific prefix. then to run setup it's just
    Code:
    wine  WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 ~/Desktop/ACAD2000/setup.exe

can you check wine instructions i posted above. you need to have fonts etc installed (thorough winetricks) as well as change the resolution before you run the setup. in PoL this is done through install wizard (install additional libraries, configure wine, select the file to run, create shortcut in the end...) if the script that PoL provides is not working or is not provided.

i would also check if win98 option is actually still needed. well you never know. but unlike old windows wine continues with development. so for exmaple Call of Duty 2 used to need directx7 (not default winXP version 9, but the old version 7), but now all works out of the box and uses DirectX9 libraries. oblivion needed this and that, now you just install , add 1 original library (maybe could also be set done via wineconfig) and it all works.

edit: make sure your path is correct. it will be case sensitive. if you type wine in terminal and then just click, grab and drop the file from file manager to terminal it will give the path to file. at least it used to be like that (i am on Kubuntu now). so this should give you the correct path to file, then you press enter and hopefully it will work.
    Last edited by mastablasta; March 5th, 2020 at 09:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, you led me to a big dumb on my part, that which I know better - case sensitivity. But a new problem is introduced with correct command line, please see following:

mark@mark:~$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 ~/Desktop/ACAD2000/SETUP.EXE
    bash: /home/mark/Desktop/ACAD2000/SETUP.EXE: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

I wonder if this indicates some needed file is missing? The SETUP.EXE is located in a folder with all the other files, and the same that has always worked when only dealing with 32bit.

ACAD2000 demands Win98, NT4.0 or NT5.0 when attempting to load with wine installer (clicking on SETUP.EXE in the ACAD2000 folder. I have always run it under Win98. You mention fonts, but do realize I launch Irfanview without problem; I would assume that the fonts should be o.k., same fonts for whatever emulation is used? Incidentally, this whole problem occurs because of moving off of 16.04LTS 32bit to 18.04LTS 64bit.

Addendum:
    At Home I now have 4 wine prefixes: .winesave (the original prefix renamed), .wine32 and .wine64, and .wine for which I do not know what generated it. My guess is that the extra prefixes do no harm for what we are trying to accomplish, or do they?

I appreciate your looking into the specific installation of ACAD2000. However, I have installed it many times on all 32bit PCs and found the steps below had no affect on performance as I use it. Also, I have never used winetricks nor missed anything that I know of. Just plain old wine has efficiently done all that I have needed. I do miss however that the wine install on one of the two PCs I have does not show wine in the gnome drop down menu. But even that is not needed as I like to launch the two programs from the Desktop. And also missing and the crux of this problem is that winecfg GUI is not making Win98 on Ubuntu 18.04. However, on my other PC, 16.04LTS 64bit, wine does make Win98 available, and thus, thank goodness, I can use ACAD on that PC. (and it is Irfanview is 64 bit on that PC). Seems odd that Win98 is not available on the 18.04LTS PC, the one with which I am communicating to you.
    2. Download winetricks by following command
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

3. Install required components by following command
    sh winetricks corefonts mdac25 tahoma win2k
    Last edited by mark bower; March 6th, 2020 at 05:55 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast