Thread: Installing and understanding WINEARCH=win32 on 64bit system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Installing and understanding WINEARCH=win32 on 64bit system

wine is the command to launch wine:

Code:
    mark@mark:~$ wine WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 ~/Desktop/ACAD2000/SETUP.EXE
    bash: /home/mark/Desktop/ACAD2000/SETUP.EXE: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
    Addendum:
    At Home I now have 4 wine prefixes: .winesave (the original prefix renamed), .wine32 and .wine64, and .wine for which I do not know what generated it. My guess is that the extra prefixes do no harm for what we are trying to accomplish, or do they?
    nah, they are separated between each other. i have about 9 of them so far.

I appreciate your looking into the specific installation of ACAD2000. However, I have installed it many times on all 32bit PCs and found the steps below had no affect on performance as I use it. Also, I have never used winetricks nor missed anything that I know of. Just plain old wine has efficiently done all that I have needed. I do miss however that the wine install on one of the two PCs I have does not show wine in the gnome drop down menu. But even that is not needed as I like to launch the two programs from the Desktop. And also missing and the crux of this problem is that winecfg GUI is not making Win98 on Ubuntu 18.04. However, on my other PC, 16.04LTS 64bit, wine does make Win98 available, and thus, thank goodness, I can use ACAD on that PC. (and it is Irfanview is 64 bit on that PC). Seems odd that Win98 is not available on the 18.04LTS PC, the one with which I am communicating to you.
    ah yes, are 32 bit libraries installed on linux? if you install those than 64 bit OS can run 32bit apps and you won't (shouldn't) notice it's a 64bit OS.
    https://linuxhint.com/run_32_bit_win...4_bit_unbuntu/

also and especially wine:i386

the fonts are in wine appdb description. i do not know the app you are trying to install myself. however you should know that these fonts are installed inside the prefix and are nto much related to any system fonts or libraries.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Indeed, some of the support pkgs were not loaded. Selecting wine32-preloader:i386 in synaptic loaded: fonts-wine, libwine:i386, wine32:i386. Unfortunately I got the same binary msg problem when running WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 your_32bit_executable.exe.

Interestingly, if I enter the below, I can invoke winecfg GUI and see all the 32 bit OSes that are supported. However, selecting win98, then trying to launch ACAD2000 via its SETUP.EXE, I get the same message that it needs win98. So obviously the 32bit support is not there.

Code:
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32 winecfg
    Short of "throwing in the towel", I yield and will try to get PlayOnLinux to work for me. So allow me some time and I will return in a few days or so. The WINE problem has been overly frustrating, but I have appreciated your attempts to steer me to get it to work. I am hoping PlayOnLinux will be simpler.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

plenty of work there. not sure why it would not be supported as most old games are 32 bit applications and many work well in wine.

you need to separate 32 bit libraries issue.
    1. there are linux 32 bit libraries needed to run 32bit applications that are in wine
    2. and there are also windows 32bit libraries which sometimes have to be added or installed in the wine prefix.

to add them to the prefix you can just download them from MS libraries website or copy them from windows install; to install them in the wine prefix winetricks can be used.

there is also a 3rd option that is sometimes needed - to select them to load - this is done in winecfg where you can select to load native or default version of the library.
    more on win98 applications and libraries here:
    https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_Guide
    4.1.1 Application Settings

Wine has the ability to mimic the behavior of different versions of Windows. In general, the biggest difference is whether Wine behaves as a Win9x version or an NT version. Some applications require a specific behavior in order to function and changing this setting may cause a buggy app to work. Wine default Windows version is Windows XP. Some newer applications may refuse to start unless you set the Windows version to Vista or higher, while some older applications may perform better if you choose Windows 98. (Note: versions of Windows prior to XP are only available for selection in winecfg in 32 bit wineprefixes. If you are on a 64 bit system, see FAQ#How do I create a 32 bit wineprefix on a 64 bit system?).
    Within the tab you'll notice there is a Default Settings entry. If you select that you'll see the current default Windows Version for all applications. A troublesome application is best configured separately from the Default Settings. To do that:

1. Click on the Add application button.
    2. Browse until you locate the executable.
    3. After it's been added you can choose the specific Windows version Wine will emulate for that application
    -------------------------------

finally and if all fails, since this app is likely over 20 years old it might work well in virtualbox (you just need to find win98 and install it in there).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

@ mastablasta
    I apologize for taking so long to get back. Again, I appreciate your extensive effort to try and get me through this. Before I continue I must stress again that there is little I understand about WINE and its environment. Also, I simply got frustrated. Even when I went to the WINE.wiki to install per instructions there, the 1st option there talked re deprecated process. Oh great, for a guy who in the past simply went with "sudo apt-get install WINE" or some stuff after WINE and all worked just fine. From what I read, WINE is kinda messed up now and in transition or something. I also attempted Playonlinux per your suggestion, but did not seem to make things happen there either, ie, never got it "off the ground".

In summary, I have now basically have full capability/normal operation. Both ACAD2000 and Irfanview launch just fine, again, on one PC, and switching between them is a matter of invoking winecfg and setting OS to either win98 or win7. On my 2nd PC, ACAD2000 runs normally and is seen in pull down as well as Desktop icon, but I have to launch Irfanview I have to use the command line, go to Desktop where icon has installed, input "wine i_view.exe", and it launches. So on the 2nd PC, ACAD2000 is in the App pull down menu and icon on Desktop, but Irfanview is only presented in the Desktop icon. (I should say, if not already, I use the Gnome Classic Desktop with pull down menus.

Now here is what I did - -

Totally frustrated with trying to get WINE installed via PPAs, so I simply did a synaptic WINE install and selected only one item: wine-stable, which installed WINE 3.0.

For 1st PC ACAD install, where Irfanview was already working via Desktop icon, I entered:
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=win32 winecfg
    WINEPREFIX=~/win32 WINEARCH=win32 wine ~/path/SETUP.exe (this got ACAD2000 going, it installed in pull down plus Desktop icon)

For 2nd PC ACAD2000 install, I believe I did the following:
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=win32 winecfg
    WINEPREFIX=~/win32 WINEARCH=win32 wine ~/path/SETUP.exe (this got ACAD2000 going, it installed in pull down plus Desktop icon)

and for attempted Irfanview install
    WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=win64 winecfg
    WINEPREFIX=~/win64 WINEARCH=win64 wine ~/path/i_view.exe (this put the Irfanview icon on the Desktop, but pop-up "archive msg" occurs when clicking it.

Irfanview will launch from Desktop command line with "wine i_view64.exe", where i_view64.exe is on the Desktop; it does not appear to be installed.

This works ok for Irfanview, not that much trouble, but would it would be nice to simply click on the Irfanview Desktop Icon like I can do with ACAD2000. This is very long winded, but gives a flavor for what I have been doing and the one remaining problem?

mark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well you now installed the app. now your issue is actually not wine one but desktop shortcut or launcher as they call it. you can create these yourself. or you can copy the existing one and then modify it.

option 1.
    look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
    under title: To start/run Windows programs using Wine
    option 2:
    or here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2356273

option 3:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1119...plication-list

there was also a tool wine launcher creator (not sure if it still works) and there is also Arronax ( https://www.florian-diesch.de/software/arronax/)

in KDE i just right click on dekstop and then create launcher. if i want it in menu i go to where one would add launchers to menu and then create new launcher there.

i think you need png icons not .ico. there are tools that will convert them but you can get free nice pgn icons on line if app doesn't come with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Thanks, I'll be working on your suggestions, and be back.
    mark
    Last edited by mark bower; March 26th, 2020 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

o.k., your advice was good. I went with the option to make a .Desktop executable and after some struggle to get it right, it worked nicely and I used one of my .jpg's for the icon. If I understand what is happening, running Irfanview this way (via .Desktop) is essentially the same as when I go to the folder with the executable and run wine /path/file.exe on the command line.

What I do not understand is why Irfanview does not install in the win64 prefix created? That is, to repeat from my previous post, I ran the following, but Irfanview does not install in the prefix:

HTML Code:
    and for attempted Irfanview install
    WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=win64 winecfg
    WINEPREFIX=~/win64 WINEARCH=win64 wine ~/path/i_view.exe (this put the Irfanview icon on the Desktop, but pop-up "archive msg" occurs when clicking it.
    Bottom line, everything works great! It does not matter to me whether Irfanview is launched via a .Desktop or an Irfanview installed Desktop icon.

mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12