Thread: Desktop is difficult to use

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Desktop is difficult to use

Have been runing 16.04.6 LTS for a few years and installed 19.10 on another computer. The desktop is terrible to use compared with 16.04.6 . How do I have the same look/feel and be able to add programs to the menu ? In fact there is no menu at all. Even right click on the mouse or take the right hand top corner square box, not helpful at all.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Desktop is difficult to use

So I figured out I had to add a widget and now have an application menu. How do I move it down to the bottom left hand corner ?

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so worked it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi oygle,

The first steps with a new DE tend to be like a fish out of water. Just take it slow and easy and pretty soon, the new ways of doing things become second nature.

Ubuntu can't move from Unity to Gnome 3 and keep things the same. They may try to keep the look and feel as close to each other as possible, but it's really done for psychological comfort and not because they are really similar.

When I first moved onto Bionic, I missed some things that I liked about Unity, but it didn't take long to discover things I really liked about Gnome 3. As just one example, I really apreciate the night light setting that is native to the new DE (I'm a night owl and reducing the blue at night is essential). I didn't have to install and futz around with Redshift like I had to in Unity. There are dozens of other examples.

Xenial reaches EoL next year. I think you are acting wisely moving to Bionic now. It has had two years to work out its teething pains and you are leaving yourself plenty of time to get used to it before Xenial dies.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    The first steps with a new DE tend to be like a fish out of water. Just take it slow and easy and pretty soon, the new ways of doing things become second nature... {snip} ..
    Thanks for your reply, yes nothing stays the same. I need to jump from 16.04.6 LTS Kubuntu to 19.10, but thought it wise to install it on another laptop first. So my initial reaction was based on such a difference, .. yet the solution was simple when a bit of hunting here and there was employed. So now, can backup, and install 19.10, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Is this Kubuntu?
    (I'm guessing from the distro information listing in the user's side profile output; or whatever that is called)
    Yes it is, thanks

Beans
    Distro

There is also no taskbar, which makes it impossible to switch between tasks/windows. I have searched a bit, there are solutions but they all suggest GNOME. I'm using KDE, so just asking is there a KDE solution to no taskbar please ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Try Ubuntu with Cinnamon Desktop Environment (DE) more like Windows with Taskbar & Similar Start Menu.
    Or Linux Mint with Cinnamon Desktop
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Redalien0304 View Post
    Try Ubuntu with Cinnamon Desktop Environment (DE) more like Windows with Taskbar & Similar Start Menu.
    Or Linux Mint with Cinnamon Desktop
    Thanks but I rely on KDE applications and therefore have Kubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is this Kubuntu?
    (I'm guessing from the distro information listing in the user's side profile output; or whatever that is called)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Is this Kubuntu?
    Good catch, deadflowr.