Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard Drive ExFat Only

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

hard Drive ExFat Only

Folks, I am hoping the knowledgeable Ubuntu users can enlighten me.

A friend of mine is an Ubuntu Mate user, he was having some trouble with an external USB hard drive he purchased recently (cheap and full refund due to problems), it apparently showed up in Windows but not in Ubuntu. Gparted just seemed to hang, various command line tools were unable to see device.

We tried terminal dd writing zeros to entire drive then trying to create partition table then format, still no luck.

He pointed out instructions received with the device as follows;

The drive can only be formatted with Exfat and cannot be formatted in other for mats, suchas NTFS, FAT32, FAT. Otherwise it will cause the hard drive t be unusable!

I've not heard such a thing before, can anyone throw some light on this for me?

Geffers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: hard Drive ExFat Only

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_Lane View Post
    ...I've not heard such a thing before...
    Same here, sounds both an unusual and interesting case.
    With respect to...
    ...an external USB hard drive...
    and
    ...can anyone throw some light on this for me?...
    Question: What is the brand and model number of the device?

Even if we don't know about the issue offhand such details can give a starting point for a bit of research on Google. My first thought is that there may be some built in hardware/firmware protections to force the use of exfat only, though that doesn't fully explain why ubuntu can't even see the device . In which case it would be good to know the make and model even if only to avoid such a device on Linux.

Regards, yeti.

Beans

In addition to answering the above questions, which version of windows was it attached to and was it (windows) fully shut down or left in the default hibernated state. There aren't many (if any) Linux operating systems which have software to access exfat filesystems installed in a default installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

When I hear stuff like this, the first thought that crosses my admittedly paranoid mind is: "is this one of those fake low capacity drives that have had its firmware replaced so as to falsely report higher capacities?" They were a big problem on ebay not so long ago and there are plenty of unscrupulous people still pulling that con.

Such drives may be specially formatted to fool Windows, but won't even be recognized by Linux.

Web searching doesn't reveal much in the way of legitimate drives with such limitations. There are hints of cheap far east drives that do not have the internal circuitry to handle journaling, but that is a head scratcher to me, as journaling is just a data structure like any other. Or is it?

And what would account for its inability to format to FAT or FAT32? They are both non-journaling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Such drives may be specially formatted to fool Windows, but won't even be recognized by Linux.
    You're probably right, it smells fake.

But why exFAT?
    AFAIK, those fakes from years ago were FAT32 (sticks) or NTFS ("HDDs"). So the file systems aren't a limitation for making fakes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    With respect to...

and

Even if we don't know about the issue offhand such details can give a starting point for a bit of research on Google. My first thought is that there may be some built in hardware/firmware protections to force the use of exfat only, though that doesn't fully explain why ubuntu can't even see the device . In which case it would be good to know the make and model even if only to avoid such a device on Linux.

Regards, yeti.
    Thank you for prompt reply.

The owner was out today so unable to get details but hopefully tomorrow.

Geoff

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    When I hear stuff like this, the first thought that crosses my admittedly paranoid mind is: "is this one of those fake low capacity drives that have had its firmware replaced so as to falsely report higher capacities?" They were a big problem on ebay not so long ago and there are plenty of unscrupulous people still pulling that con.

Web searching doesn't reveal much in the way of legitimate drives with such limitations. There are hints of cheap far east drives that do not have the internal circuitry to handle journaling, but that is a head scratcher to me, as journaling is just a data structure like any other. Or is it?

And what would account for its inability to format to FAT or FAT32? They are both non-journaling.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all, it was bought from ebay, ridiculously cheap, in a case and 2TB, he has already been reimbursed and seller didn't want device returned so it is curiosity now - CrystalDiskInfo on Windows 10 apparently reported it as a pretty new drive as very few 'start ups' reported on the smart drive info.

He is out today so I'll get more info tomorrow.

Geffers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I wouldn't be surprised at all, it was bought from ebay, ridiculously cheap, in a case and 2TB, he has already been reimbursed and seller didn't want device returned so it is curiosity now - CrystalDiskInfo on Windows 10 apparently reported it as a pretty new drive as very few 'start ups' reported on the smart drive info.

He is out today so I'll get more info tomorrow.

Geffers
    Doesn't pass the "smell" test, does it?…

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yetimon_64 View Post
    With respect to...

and

Even if we don't know about the issue offhand such details can give a starting point for a bit of research on Google.

Regards, yeti.
    From CrystalDiskInfo;

Enclosure : JMicron Tech USB Device (V=152D, P=0578, sa1)
    Model : SAMSUNG HM201HI

Geffers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I couldn't find anything about a "Samsung HM201HI" but one result for HM250HI, a 250GB SATA II 5400rpm HDD. The HM201HI, assuming it's correct, maybe is 200GB (?). A lot less than 2TB...

Still wondering about the same. Why exFAT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast