Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting WiFi Card to See 5GHz Band

Beans

Getting WiFi Card to See 5GHz Band

Running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on an HP Pailion dv7 laptop.

The WiFi card is not seeing the 5GHz band. This machine was formerly a Windows 7 machine and the WiFi card was able to see the 5GHz frequencies and connect to my network just fine.

After changing to Linux, no love.

The iwlist chan command has the following output...
    marlo@data2:~$ iwlist chan
    lo no frequency information.

eno1 no frequency information.

wlo1 14 channels in total; available frequencies :
    Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
    Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
    Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
    Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
    Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
    Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
    Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
    Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
    Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
    Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
    Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
    Channel 12 : 2.467 GHz
    Channel 13 : 2.472 GHz
    Channel 14 : 2.484 GHz
    marlo@data2:~$

So, I have a feeling it just isn't using the correct driver- but I have no proof of that. I'm a newb at this point when it comes to Linux.

Let me know what commands to run and I'll post the output.

Thanks in advance for the help- always learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Getting WiFi Card to See 5GHz Band

Hi, please click on the wireless script in my signature, follow the directions for running it and posting the results back here using the pastebin link created and someone should be able to help .

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans

Thanks for the help!!!! Here's a link to the pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/u3ZVL31X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You have a Ralink RT5390, a legacy product, that I'm almost sure doesn't support 5GHz.

Beans

The card in this laptop ran on my 5GHz network for several years with Windows 7. It very definitely does support 5GHz. In fact, that was the only WiFi network I had configured for awhile- there was no 2.4GHz network until I got a printer that was 2.4 only.

Are you 100% sure that the driver that is loaded and what Linux is reporting matches the hardware?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How was it identified in Windows?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    How was it identified in Windows?
    No idea... it was not something I ever took note of on the machine. One day, the hard drive died and I switched to a newer Windows machine for my main work. When I decided to revive this computer, I stuck a new SSD in place for the main drive and just installed Ubuntu on it... so I have no idea what the hardware actually is. I was relying on Ubuntu to figure that out. It's not a laptop I want to spend much more money on, so I may just buy a USB WiFi adapter and be done with it. I kind of know where the card is inside the machine, but I honestly don't feel like taking it all apart to find out.

The computer does have some useful life to it, but it does need to have a fully functional WiFi card for that to be the case (I go to some places where they've turned off 2.4GHz Wifi).

I wonder if I look up the serial number on the HP support site if it will give me an inventory of the hardware?... worth a check on a Saturday afternoon...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All the searches I've made result in "Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter" for your reported
    Code:
    VID:PID - 1814:539a
    - which is reported directly by the hardware. I'm unaware of any situation where this was identified incorrectly. The OS may not identify a specific model in a full human-readable form or even show the VendorID/ProductID only.

Before further considerations I must disclose I'm no expert. The WiFi resident expert is @chili555 , I hope he sees this.
    That said I'm confident in the hardware identification (the PID "539a" really suggests RT5390 or similar). It's hard to check specs for this because Mediatek, owner of Ralink, has it in the legacy products section with only a link to old Windows drivers, no specs sheet. Googling "RT539x 5GHz" also finds no mention of its support, only mentions of people trying and failing to connect to 5GHz networks, threads like this (Windows 7): https://forums.techguy.org/threads/s...blems.1000462/

Again, not an expert, but I'm almost certain the "802.11b/g/n" protocol, the "n" part allowed 5GHz support but wasn't mandatory. it was in "802.11a/b/g/n" of the same vintage as yours. I remember back in the day that same "802.11b/g/n" chips did support 5GHz "n" networks and that being a selling point it was always profusely advertised. I couldn't find such mention for the one you supposedly have. Are you sure that WiFi card wasn't replaced at some point before the revival?
    Last edited by CelticWarrior; February 29th, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

The WiFi resident expert is @chili555 , I hope he sees this.
    Good Morning! I'm here!

A great many things work perfectly in Windows but not Linux and vice-versa. This device and driver combination are textbook examples. It is the driver that is lacking here, not the physical device. The Linux driver in question, rt2800pci, just doesn't support 5 gHz. A Google search confirms this; there are many inquiries going back a decade. There is no solution offered.

As far as I can determine, the driver was written to be good enough; it connects, sometimes with some difficulty, and passes traffic. Good enough.

I suggest that you consider two alternatives: first, content yourself with 2.4 gHz or, second, if you have no whitelist issues, transplant a better device into your laptop. I suggest Intel.

https://goughlui.com/2014/08/02/lapt...ade-nightmare/

At this time, it is known that some recent Lenovo, Toshiba, Dell, HP and Compaq follow this whitelisting practice. From my experience, it appears that Asus, Acer, and MSI don’t.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS on an HP Pailion dv7 laptop.
    Please see page #8 here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842278 There is a listing of the wireless cards that came with the DV7 and that, I assume, will pass the whitelist test. Included are three Intels.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast