Thread: Gpu Acceleration Failing? Drivers?

Beans

Gpu Acceleration Failing? Drivers?

So basically i have 2 nvme disks in my computer
    In one i have Windows 10
    And in the other one i installed ubuntu yesterday(was unused some time)

I install vmware workstation pro 15.5 in ubuntu and open a windows 7 x64 guest VM, when trying to do the same i do with Windows 10 host(open a game) it fails, and the VM is the same
    Gpu acceleration or vmware tools is failing, how i can check what is and solve?

The VM is the same in both hosts

hardware: My hardware:
    CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 not OC
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-N107TWF2-8GD GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-PRO AMD AM4 X470 ATX
    Disks: 2x Samsung 970 EVO (In one Windows 10 in other one Ubuntu 18.04)

RAM: F4-3200C16D-32GTZA
    Last edited by localmana88; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gpu Acceleration Failing? Drivers?

Did you install the package:

open-vm-tools

from repository? This takes the place of installing the O/S specific VMtools package into a virtual machine like you have to do on a Windows host. The Open-VM-tools package should be installed all virtual machines properly shut down to powered off state and the Workstation host program not running.

Once that is done, you should be able to start Workstation, fire up the virtual machine and enter the graphics section of virtual machine settings. Make sure hardware acceleration is enabled.
    Last edited by rbmorse; February 28th, 2020 at 12:09 AM.
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Even with hardware acceleration the game may fail. Most demanding games don't work in a VM because they don't recognize the virtual GPU. They should work with GPU passtrough though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Even with hardware acceleration the game may fail. Most demanding games don't work in a VM because they don't recognize the virtual GPU. They should work with GPU passtrough though.
    This isnt true atleast for my case
    Cause when doing exactly the same with Windows 10 x64 Pro Host, i get different result(Game goes 45/50 fps witouth lag and witouth bugs) But when trying with ubuntu, i get error

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post

open-vm-tools

from repository? This takes the place of installing the O/S specific VMtools package into a virtual machine like you have to do on a Windows host. The Open-VM-tools package should be installed all virtual machines properly shut down to powered off state and the Workstation host program not running.

Once that is done, you should be able to start Workstation, fire up the virtual machine and enter the graphics section of virtual machine settings. Make sure hardware acceleration is enabled.
    no i did no install nothing gonna try again installing those, what i have to do, install open-vm-tools and reinstall windows 7 vm and tools? any specific configuration for tools in workstation?

Beans

i will edit OP with this too but here is my hardware, if someone knnows if i have to install something

the other obvius option is too pasthroug gpu to vm but i want to use that as last resource before trying everything

My hardware:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 not OC

GPU: Gigabyte GV-N107TWF2-8GD GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-PRO AMD AM4 X470 ATX
    Disks: 2x Samsung 970 EVO (In one Windows 10 in other one Ubuntu 18.04)

RAM: F4-3200C16D-32GTZA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by localmana88 View Post
    no i did no install nothing gonna try again installing those, what i have to do, install open-vm-tools and reinstall windows 7 vm and tools? any specific configuration for tools in workstation?
    You shouldn't need to reinstall the VM, just change the VM's settings to enable acceleration after installing the package recommended in the other post. Again, I don't know VMware but those settings should be easy to find

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post

open-vm-tools

Install this package + reboot solved my issue