Thread: 19.10 Errors in syslog concerning /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/main.qml

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

19.10 Errors in syslog concerning /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/main.qml

When checking my syslog, these two errors keep appearing:

Code:
    Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc sddm-greeter[864]: Loading file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/Main.qml...Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc sddm-greeter[864]: Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
    Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc sddm-greeter[864]: Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
    Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc sddm-greeter[864]: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/Main.qml:93:17: QML Text: Cannot anchor to an item that isn't a parent or sibling.
    Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc ModemManager[650]: <info>  Couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:19.0': not supported by any plugin
    Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc ModemManager[650]: <info>  Couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:10:00.0': not supported by any plugin
    Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc systemd[1]: systemd-rfkill.service: Succeeded.
    Feb 27 22:30:13 macro-pc sddm-greeter[864]: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/Main.qml:90:9: QML Row: Cannot specify left, right, horizontalCenter, fill or centerIn anchors for items inside Row. Row will not function.
    The usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/main.qml file is virginal from a new install.

The messages point to lines 90 and 93 in the file, which are (in red):

Code:
            Row {
                anchors.fill: parent

Text {
                        id: txtMessage
                        anchors.top: usersContainer.bottom;
                        anchors.margins: 20
                        anchors.horizontalCenter: parent.horizontalCenter
                        color: "white"
                        text: textConstants.promptSelectUser
                        font.pixelSize: 16
                        font.family: "Ubuntu"
                    }
               }
    I don't see a reason for the syslog error here.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thank You.
    Last edited by ml9104; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: 19.10 Errors in syslog concerning /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/main.qml

Try and not make typos, eg. my system [20.04] has no /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/main.qml It has a Main.qml which is found in the messages you provided which is a different file.

The lines you provided in code tags also look the same as the lines found on my 20.04 box, however I'd look at the time/date stamp of the file for clues to see if it was changed post-install, and also look back/forward for any issues in the prior { section of text, or subsequent } as both lines mention braces and the issue possibly relates to that (are open{ and close} matching? and make sense... my Row{ is within a Rectangle{ so does it have expected } etc... this maybe unreadable sorry

Beans
    Distro

Re: 19.10 Errors in syslog concerning /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/main.qml

OK, I think I found the problem. I recently did a reinstall of sddm to initialize/virginize the configuration files, but this did not help (the old files stay).

The only solution I see right now (to get the conf files back to origin) is an apt purge sddm followed by an apt install sddm.

I'm terrified about doing this, though

I need a bit of moral support here to be certain that I'm not smashing my system (OK, I have a backup, but still...)

Thank You.
    Last edited by ml9104; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 19.10 Errors in syslog concerning /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/Main.qml

Still tearing out my hair here. a purge and install of sddm brought no joy.

Resurrecting the original Main.qml file seems really difficult. Even doing a reinstall of the Breeze theme (which I'm using) did not help.

How do I get hold of an intact Main.qml file?

Thank You.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Code:
    guiverc@d960-ubu2:~$   apt-file show sddm-theme-lubuntu
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/doc/sddm-theme-lubuntu/changelog.gz
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/doc/sddm-theme-lubuntu/copyright
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/Main.qml
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/angle-down.png
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/angle-left.png
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/angle-right.png
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/metadata.desktop
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/reboot.png
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/shutdown.png
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/suspend.png
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/theme.conf
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/user.png
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/user.svg
    sddm-theme-lubuntu: /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu/wall.png
    Main.qml is found in `sddm-theme-lubuntu`

(Sorry I've not had time to respond before now, or provide proper detail now)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post

Main.qml is found in `sddm-theme-lubuntu`

(Sorry I've not had time to respond before now, or provide proper detail now)
    Well, yes and no.

It seems the /usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu and /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme are linked somehow. Whenever I change something in the latter, the lubuntu folder also changes.
    Mysterious...

Beans
    Distro

Solved it by brute force. Restored the original Timeshift backup from my first 19.10 install.

This solved the /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/Main.qml problem, the file is directly from the distribution.

Then did a Timeshift restore of my newest image, excluding /usr/share/sddm/themes/**.

Now my machine is running perfectly again.

syslog still shows a warning in /usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/Main.qml line 90:9, this must be an issue in the distribution Main.qml file. This is a job for the programmer in my opinion.

Thank You.
    Last edited by ml9104; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OK, got a bit further and am still confused, but at a higher level.

/usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme
    Is a symbolic link to:

/etc/alternatives/sddm-ubuntu-theme
    which again is a link to:

/usr/share/sddm/themes/lubuntu
    Which is the final destination.

Why all this indirection is needed eludes me, but I'm sure there is a reason somewhere. I'm a noob, but this kind of thing makes finding the right files really hard
    Last edited by ml9104; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:56 PM.