Thread: Seeking advise

Beans

Seeking advise

I'll start, as I always do, by explaining that I'm a noob. I played with lubuntu 18.04 off and on for 2 years before I found a way to get it to install on my computer. I've only been using lubuntu since the first part of of Feb. ( a month now). I also installed lubuntu 19.10, which I've been using almost exclusively. I still boot to windows for a few things I can't get working right yet, like printing. What I need advise on is simple. I will be going to lubuntu 20.04 lts when it come out. I currently have 415 GB of unallocated space on my hard drive. I plan to download the new iso and use rufus to make a bootable usb. my 19.10 has a 10GB root partition ( mount /), and a 25 GB home partition (mount /home). My options are; A) remove 19.10 and install 20.04, B) do a full and separate install of 20.04. If I do the install and have 4 boot options, that leaves 19.04 my me to continue to experiment without endangering my 20.04 install. Aside from the obvious suggestion of dumping windows altogether( which is coming, just not yet), what would you more experienced users suggest. I would also like advice on partition size(s), should I make 1 large root partion, or root and home partitions, and what size for each. I'm sure I'll get many conflicting recommendations, so please briefly explain why you suggest the option you would chose, so I can make a more intelligent decision. You guys have helped me a few time in the month I've been using lubuntu, and I would like to thank you for that, and for help with this in advance.
    I'm a firm believer that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Lenovo ideapad320-15iap, 1.1G Intel processor with onboard graphics, x64, 1TB SSD, 8GB ram
    lubuntu 22.04.1, fully updated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Seeking advise

Not a support request, moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Seeking advise

Search these forums. Lots and lots of advice there.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....7#post13883277 It explains what and why.

19.04 needs to be wiped. It is out of support. No security patches.
    In July, 19.10 support ends too.

My advice would be to use virtualization rather than multi-boot. That doesn't risk your OS and booting setup every time you want to try out a new release. Installing a new VM is 15 minutes. No risk of harming the hostOS or accidentally installing the new OS over existing OS, Data, whatever.