Thread: Cant download steam HELP

Beans

Cant download steam HELP

I'm about at the end of my rope with this here...ive been trying to download steam for about a week now. I've got ubuntu 19 through my stylo 4+ and long story short ive purged everything downloaded steam deb downloaded the 32 bit libraries via this; sudo apt-get install '^libc6*; (which seems to be the only one that works) then sudo apt install steam then changed it to where I can run it as root...so thats where I'm at...i click on applications games steam it pops up with steam needs to install these additional packages (the 32 bit libraries) then it cant find them and it doesnt have an installation candidate. Click on the steam desktop image which pops up with you are missing the 32 bit libraries and may not run and also message saying failed to run steam.desktop this feature requires a file manager service like thunar but I have xfe file manager that I've set as my default file manager even tried to gio mime it to steam..nothing seems to be working...its been at least a week..just wanna game...please I've searched through all the forums is there ANYBODY who can help or should I just give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cant download steam HELP

Isn't the stylo 4+ an arm cpu?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Isn't the stylo 4+ an arm cpu?
    Not only is it ARM (Snapdragon 450) but it's a phone.

@ckraemer95

Ubuntu desktop apps will not magically work on phones. In general, phone apps must be specifically designed for phones; likewise, desktop apps for desktops. The two architectures do not intersect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Every OS, from Windows, OSX, Linux and Android have one thing in common: they are built to run only apps which are written for it, and it's entirely possible that your CPU (a fine one, BTW) just won't handle Steam.'

Or maybe it will, with some tweaks. Google is your friend.
    Last edited by QIII; February 27th, 2020 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Corrected typo to read Windows

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well, just in case the OP is just using Stylo phone as modem, wi-fi hot spot or in general for internet access, then all they need to do is to install steam that is found in ubuntu software center. people are over complicating things.

to use steam you need good, stable internet connection.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    well, just in case the OP is just using Stylo phone as modem, wi-fi hot spot or in general for internet access, then all they need to do is to install steam that is found in ubuntu software center. people are over complicating things.

to use steam you need good, stable internet connection.
    This is a more logical interpretation of OP's post. Will wait for clarification from OP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I don't know what release you're using. There is no Ubuntu 19, as Ubuntu server and desktop releases use the yy.mm format, and only special purpose releases like Ubuntu Core 18 for IoT appliances that use the yy format.

If your release is 19.04, then it's EOL (http://ubuntu-news.org/2020/01/23/ub...nuary-23-2020/) and this could be part of your problem, or you're not using Ubuntu at all, but something else calling it Ubuntu 19 (as there is no Ubuntu 19).