Thread: How to run script as root on startup

Beans

How to run script as root on startup

Hi, I have a secondary drive in my PC. It's an LDM drive and Linux will not mount it until I run
    Code:
    sudo ldmtool create all
    Once I run this command it works fine, the problem is when I reboot my computer I have to run the command again which gets very annoying especially as root is required for the command to work properly. I have already tried using systemd and systemctl to run the script on startup but this did not work. I also tried creating a symbolic link in /etc/rc5.d using
    Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/finddata.sh /etc/rc5.d/S99finddata.sh
    but neither worked. Any suggestions would be very appreciated, thanks in advance :)

P.S I am running Feren OS KDE but it does not have it's own forum and I would assume that what I am looking to do would be the same across all Debian based distros.

Edit: I now realize that all scripts running at startup are root so I removed the sudo from the beginning of my script but it still doesn't work :(
    Last edited by roland-wh; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How to run script as root on startup

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian BASED a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Welcome to the forums, roland-wh.

LDM is not native to Linux, so that's part of the problem. I don't know if ldmtool is FUSE, but it doesn't appear to be (which helps).

I'm surprised that you couldn't create a systemd mount script for it. Please post your script. It should still be the best way to get this running. A wild guess on my part, but I suspect that the script failed because it didn't wait for a dependent service to be loaded before executing.

I haven't used Windows for years and have no familiarity with LDM at all, so my knowledge is almost nonexistent, but post your systemd script and others may be able to help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Probably not what you want to read, but have you considered reformatting from LDM to something more standard? About once a year, we see someone with LDM here, so it doesn't seem popular. If this disk is for Linux only use, ext4 is probably the best choice for performance and data safety.

Beans

Thanks for the quick responses
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Please post your script.
    Here you go:
    Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=Mount my external data drive

[Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/find-data.sh

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    A wild guess on my part, but I suspect that the script failed because it didn't wait for a dependent service to be loaded before executing.
    Yeah that was my guess too that's why I tried the second method of creating a symbolic link in /etc/rc5.d seeing as that's the last runlevel I assumed all the services would be loaded by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu
    have you considered reformatting from LDM to something more standard?
    I'm afraid that's not an option for me as I need that data and I don't have another drive big enough to back it up onto. If worst comes to worst I could just manually run the command every time the computer starts up but I'm hoping I can find a way to automate it as that would be a pain. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, I'm quite good with computers but I've only recently switched to Linux.

Edit: I should clarify the code I posted was the find-data.service file I placed in /etc/systemd/system/ the find-data.sh file in /usr/local/sbin just said: ldmtool create all
    Last edited by roland-wh; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:10 PM.

Beans

Update: I just run systemctl status find-data.service and this was the result
    Code:
    ● find-data.service - Mount my external data drive
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/find-data.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-02-27 09:37:41 GMT; 1min 13s ago
      Process: 894 ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/find-data.sh (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
     Main PID: 894 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Feb 27 09:37:41 Red-Phoenix systemd[1]: Started Mount my external data drive.
    Feb 27 09:37:41 Red-Phoenix systemd[894]: find-data.service: Failed to execute command: Exec format error
    Feb 27 09:37:41 Red-Phoenix systemd[894]: find-data.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/local/sbin/find-data.sh: Exec format error
    Feb 27 09:37:41 Red-Phoenix systemd[1]: find-data.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
    Feb 27 09:37:41 Red-Phoenix systemd[1]: find-data.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What are the permissions for the script? it must have execute permissions.

Insde the script, the ldmtool needs to have the full path. I doubt there is a PATH set early in boot. When scripting, always use full paths to all programs, every time.

Probably needs a
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    as the first line to tell it which interpreter to use.

BTW, there are no runlevels anymore. Just targets.

Beans

Red face Re: How to run script as root on startup

Thank you so much, I had already set execute permissions but I forgot that everything in Linux is a file of some kind, I was still thinking in the Windows peasant mindset
    I didn't know about the #!/bin/bash thing though

Thanks a lot for the help