Thread: Unable to boot from LiveUSB on Grub in Ubuntu 16.04

Beans

Unable to boot from LiveUSB on Grub in Ubuntu 16.04

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie to Linux and Ubuntu in general and I got an old Macbook and had Ubuntu installed onto it. I wanted to try to try out some other distros of Linux to possibly dual boot other OS' but when I enter into Grub, I'm unable to view the option to boot from USB. I installed Manjaro onto my USB to try it out and I was able to try it out on a Macbook and Windows OS to see if it was able to show and see if it worked and it worked perfectly. Is there something I need to change onto Ubuntu in order to allow booting from USB on the Grub menu?

Beans

Re: Unable to boot from LiveUSB on Grub in Ubuntu 16.04

Moved to the "Apple Hardware Users" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Can you give us more detail about what you have done?
    What model of Macbook (usually something like "Late 2008" and "MacBook 5,1")?
    Did you follow any instructions to make the USB a bootable one?
    like:
    https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Burn_an_ISO_File
    and did you run sudo update-grub with the USB inserted (so grub can find it)?
    Last edited by gsahli; February 26th, 2020 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

USB media usually boots (or don't) from the firmware (UEFI), not Grub. It should happen before Grub.

I'm not familiar with Macs and how they boot installation media but given the model as requested above, someone will certainly be able to help you.

Beans

@marielaas:

If the shasum numbers checked out on your iso file for manjaro, you should be able to boot the USB by restarting nd holding the "alt/option" key down to bring the OSX boot manager window up, then the various disks should show up there, select the "EFI boot" option for Manjaro and it should boot it up . . . .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @marielaas:

If the shasum numbers checked out on your iso file for manjaro, you should be able to boot the USB by restarting nd holding the "alt/option" key down to bring the OSX boot manager window up, then the various disks should show up there, select the "EFI boot" option for Manjaro and it should boot it up . . . .
    This solved my problem everyone! Thank you so much for your help! Sorry for the lack of response. Life has been hectic these past few weeks. Decided to stick with Ubuntu and absolutely loving the new update.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marielaas View Post
    This solved my problem everyone! Thank you so much for your help! Sorry for the lack of response. Life has been hectic these past few weeks. Decided to stick with Ubuntu and absolutely loving the new update.
    Thanks for the post back on it . . . pretty basic stuff, glad it worked out for you . . . Manjaro is a pretty good system, seems fairly zippy, etc.