Thread: Simple Paint like program

Hybrid View

Beans

Simple Paint like program

Hi, Any advice?
    I need a simple Paint program. I've tried Drawing and GNU Paint. With both of them I haven't found a way to select an area and crop unless I'm missing something really obvious.

My needs are simple.

Phil
    Ubuntu 18.04 Acer Aspire V CPU 1.6 8 Gb RAM 1Tb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Simple Paint like program

Have a look at mtpaint; it's a bit like the simple Microsoft paint application as far as I can remember, though I've not used either for a very long time.

If you really want a gnome application try gthumb as well.

Both are in the normal repos so easy to install.

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Kolourpaint. It's an almost 1:1 to MS Paint. It's already in the repo.

Beans

Thanks. Found and installed.
    Phil
    Ubuntu 18.04 Acer Aspire V CPU 1.6 8 Gb RAM 1Tb

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Philip_Edwards View Post
    Phil
    Good, if this solves the problem please mark the thread so.
    It will help other users.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Philip_Edwards View Post
    Phil
    Based on posting sequence, I assume this refers to kolourpaint? Be aware it's a KDE application and depends on a different group of libraries than an application designed for Gnome, and that all those extra libraries have to be installed. Now, we have snap or flatpak applications that keep the supporting libraries (or runtimes, as they are called) segregated from the rest of the system rather than intermixed - a fact that makes it easy to clean them out if you change your mind. Kolourpaint has both a snap version and a flatpak version. I would use either one of those instead of the apt version. But if you installed from the Ubuntu repository, it's too late to take advantage of this.

Note: using apt to install kolourpaint on my Ubuntu system requires 97 new packages! See what's needed with apt install -s kolourpaint

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Based on posting sequence, I assume this refers to kolourpaint? Be aware it's a KDE application and depends on a different group of libraries than an application designed for Gnome, and that all those extra libraries have to be installed. Now, we have snap or flatpak applications that keep the supporting libraries (or runtimes, as they are called) segregated from the rest of the system rather than intermixed - a fact that makes it easy to clean them out if you change your mind. Kolourpaint has both a snap version and a flatpak version. I would use either one of those instead of the apt version. But if you installed from the Ubuntu repository, it's too late to take advantage of this.

Note: using apt to install kolourpaint on my Ubuntu system requires 97 new packages! See what's needed with apt install -s kolourpaint
    Your comment is bit over the top. Kolourpaint has 22 dependencies, all of them to libkf5* or libqt5*. I run Lubuntu, so I don't know if these are present on a Gnome system (probably not). The rest of the required files/packages are screen icons for Kolourpaint.

I find Kolourpaint fast and to the point = emulating MSPaint.

Beans

Your comment is bit over the top. Kolourpaint has 22 dependencies
    Not really - It depends on what you already have installed. I did say "on my Ubuntu system". Lubuntu releases after 18.04 use LXQt and some KDE packages by default, so some of what is needed is already there. That explains the difference. For Lubuntu, it makes more sense.
    Last edited by Dennis N; February 25th, 2020 at 11:46 PM. Reason: edited, because ml9104 is not the OP.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

pinta is in the repositories and quite easy to use

Pinta.jpg

Beans

Try Dibuja: https://launchpad.net/dibuja
    Light weight and minimal dependancies