Thread: Disable middle click for closing a web browser tab ...

Beans

Disable middle click for closing a web browser tab ...

Hopefully this is the right forum.

I want to disable the annoying feature whereby GNOME closes a browser window when i middle click it. I want to keep the right click open new tab functionality though.

I've downloaded and installed the GNOME tweak tool and I can disable middle click by going to Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse Click Emulation -> Area , but it also disables right click.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks
    I wish my computer would do what I want it to do - not what I tell it to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Disable middle click for closing a web browser tab ...

I want to disable the annoying feature whereby GNOME closes a browser window when i middle click it.
    Happens in other desktops.
    Not just gnome.
    It's a browser setting.
    Unfortunately, there is no setting to disable, and it's unknown if there is an add-on that can do it.
    Here's wishlist request for firefox: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1439247
    Chromium and chromium-based browsers also seem to suffer from this too.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

It's really annoying. I'm doing without right click for the sake of my browser tabs not being shut down accidently..
    I wish my computer would do what I want it to do - not what I tell it to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

do you have a mouse with a big sensitive middle button? my middle button is hard to click and i have never accidentally middle-clicked a browser tab (i use tabs a lot). i've looked around for a cheap wireless mouse with an easy middle button and have not found one. what i have now has the middle button integrated with the roller.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I could be cheeky and suggest you try another DE and I have to admit that I was totally unaware of this mouse click behaviour as I use XFCE and have done so for several years. Is what you see specific to gnome which I haven't used for many years and then it was still gnome 2.

I use middle click a lot in browsers, mainly to open links in a new tab but also to highlight a word I wish to copy. However I wonder if this is all related to my mouse setting of a single click to activate rather than just select in file managers, etc.