Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: internet services - i'm curious

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: internet services - i'm curious

the reason i am curious is that i wonder if anyone is combining multiple providers to increase internet performance and/or have a quick fallback in case of an outage in one of the providers. i think i have come up with a way to do that in a situation where a Linux/BSD/Unix host can decide which ISP to send to different destination addresses. i am wondering if this is already done or if i should proceed to develop it.
    Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Isn't that handled by the "metric" keyword in routing statements? You can have both networks connected simultaneously with different metrics. Then if the primary connection dies, the router will use the next alternative.

I'm using a laptop with a wired connection. My routing table looks like this:
    Code:
    $ ip route list
    default via 192.168.100.1 dev eno1 proto dhcp metric 100 
    default via 192.168.100.1 dev wlo1 proto dhcp metric 600 
    169.254.0.0/16 dev eno1 scope link metric 1000 
    192.168.100.0/24 dev eno1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.100.53 metric 100 
    192.168.100.0/24 dev wlo1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.100.109 metric 600
    So here my laptop is using the wired connection on eno1 because it has the lowest metric. Were I to disconnect the computer from the wired network, it would switch to using the wifi connection via wlo1.

(This is the default on Kubuntu 20.04. I didn't do anything to set this up.)
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:40 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

ISP failover is handled by routers already. Just need to get a router that can connect to multiple WAN connections.

Any pfSense/OpnSense install can do this assuming there are sufficient ethernet ports or room for a data card inside the device should wireless data be desired. The router handles any failover between ISPs. This is very common outside a home environment.

These are not expensive devices.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    ISP failover is handled by routers already. Just need to get a router that can connect to multiple WAN connections.

Any pfSense/OpnSense install can do this assuming there are sufficient ethernet ports or room for a data card inside the device should wireless data be desired. The router handles any failover between ISPs. This is very common outside a home environment.

These are not expensive devices.
    can routers also merge the 2 bandwidths into 1 larger one? how fast will they respond to upstream packet loss? what if an ISP is having 50% packet loss?
    Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Isn't that handled by the "metric" keyword in routing statements? You can have both networks connected simultaneously with different metrics. Then if the primary connection dies, the router will use the next alternative.

I'm using a laptop with a wired connection. My routing table looks like this:
    Code:
    $ ip route list
    default via 192.168.100.1 dev eno1 proto dhcp metric 100 
    default via 192.168.100.1 dev wlo1 proto dhcp metric 600 
    169.254.0.0/16 dev eno1 scope link metric 1000 
    192.168.100.0/24 dev eno1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.100.53 metric 100 
    192.168.100.0/24 dev wlo1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.100.109 metric 600
    So here my laptop is using the wired connection on eno1 because it has the lowest metric. Were I to disconnect the computer from the wired network, it would switch to using the wifi connection via wlo1.

(This is the default on Kubuntu 20.04. I didn't do anything to set this up.)
    how does your system handle a "brief" (or longer) packet loss outage by the ISP's upstream provider where the local connections stay up?l

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I'm talking about a desktop computer here. Upstream I have just one provider, but the desktop machine can get to the router two different ways. So I can't really answer your question.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

if you did have 2 ISPs and you had either separate interfaces for each ISP or could set routing on a router to make certain IP addresses go via ISP 1 and certain other addresses go via ISP 2, then you probably have the means to use what i have dreamed up. it might need to change any routes at startup or at other times, including on the machine itself if the ISPs are separate interfaces.

the technique is to run what will look like 2 VPNs in a cloud provider, operating as a single VPN. a process at each end will filter packets selecting which ISP(s) each will go through. received packets will be recombined for the single instance of OpenVPN at each end. so your outgoing traffic can spread out over 2 or more ISPs and still go to addressed internet sites all with a single IP address (so you can have the bandwidth of multiple ISPs and be "from" a single IP address suitable for TCP connections and SCTP sessions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12