Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New printer on Ubuntu 16.04 will scan, but will give error message when try print

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New printer on Ubuntu 16.04 will scan, but will give error message when try print

Maybe you can set the (working) printer as the default?

Beans

Re: New printer on Ubuntu 16.04 will scan, but will give error message when try print

I have alread done that...BUT there are many different programs and places that 'set the default printer'. Everyone is ignoring this over-ride file. I see on the internet this is the problem, but I 1] can not locate it and 2] do not know how to modify it. Some programs see the printer attached as the default, but most do not, the computer/system do not!

Beans

I think I just messed up everything. I deleted [in CUPS] the non-existant printer most often listed as default....and now nothingworks and CUPS is locked and won't work. I can't locate the name of this override file, but I've come accross it mentioned many many times and everytime it is said one MUST change what is in that file....but I never could find it and also when they say 'name of a printer' do not ever know what to put [e.g. do you put Canon MX-920 or Canon MX-920 series or MX-920?]...or does it matter and where does it matter?

Beans

Printer Canon_MP540_series has been made the default printer on the server.
    Note: Any user default that has been set via the lpoptions command will override this default setting.

??????? - but this is not the file I'm referring to.

Beans

$ lp
    lp: Error - no default destination available.

$ lprm Camon-MP-540
    lprm: Error - unknown destination "Camon-MP-540".

I can't find where this is misspelled...if that is the problem....
    Last edited by crazybear; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:12 PM.

Beans

I'm confused and this is confusing. one rule conflicts with another. one place on the system will set default printer, but it won't be recognized on/at another location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12