Glad to hear that.
    Just a reminder that there are 5 separate xscreensaver packages:
    Code:
    xscreensaver
    xscreensaver-data
    xscreensaver-data-extra
    xscreensaver-gl
    xscreensaver-gl-extra
    I think only the first two are required. The others just add more screensavers to your choices if you want them (why not?)
    And there is another package of screensavers named rss-glx that has more demanding screensavers. It needs an extra step to get them into the xscreensaver choices. Ask if you are interested.

Beans

Re: 19.10 - Screen blank not working

Yeah I saw something about extras but went with what was in the Software Center. That being said version 5.43 is out and the SC has 5.42 from 2018. Iíd like to try 5.43 as Iím hoping itíll fix a weird bug (fade out fades to black but then briefly flashes the screen before becoming completely black). Not sure how to go about utilizing that version, however.

Iím not at all unfamiliar with Ubuntu from the command line (I use Linux in a headless capacity quite often) but Iím trying to do this all as a standard UI user in hopes I can start to spread the use of Ubuntu as an alternative for others. Iím a hands-on learner and need to experience it for myself first.

Beans

weird bug (fade out fades to black but then briefly flashes the screen before becoming completely black)
    I haven't noticed that. Did you use the correct command in the startup applications? Otherwise, it may briefly flash or show a spash image when it comes on - that might be what you are seeing. The command should be:
    Code:
    xscreensaver -no-splash
    A updated version most likely wouldn't appear in the Ubuntu repository until the next Ubuntu release - 20.04 - or maybe not. Most applications don't get updated mid-release unless it's a security issue. Linux kernel is frequently updated for this reason. But there are alternate ways to get newest versions of some packages: PPAs, Snap packages, and Flatpak packages. There is a PPA at Xscreensaver PPA but I don't see Snap or Flatpak releases. If you are willing to leave Ubuntuland, some Linux distributions will continuously update packages with newer versions - these are the rolling releases.
    Last edited by Dennis N; February 20th, 2020 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added PPA link

Beans

Oh really? I didnít realize Ubuntu was less updated in that respect. I was hoping the Software Center would provide developers the option to list their applications for installation based on OS compatibility. It seems to me that Ubuntu more presents applications based on a list thatís provided at the time of the release (19.10 in this case)? Itís not a bad thing if I wanted to make use of this OS for others that may not be as interested in constantly updating components.

I am using apt update/upgrade daily already on this in the background because I just canít help myself. Haha.

Beans

As for the screen flash issue - Iíve only installed it directly from Software Center. Without fade it is fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12