Thread: Running two apps in the same Wine session

Beans

Running two apps in the same Wine session

Hi:

I want to run a RC planes simulator, Aerofly RC7. It can be controlled using a RC transmitter whose audio signal is fed into the mic input and there is an app, SmartPropoPlus that creates a virtual joystick (vJoy) with thoat audio signal. This works ok in a Windows 7 (not in a virtual box, I tried many times to no avail, it crashes, there is an issued with 3D acceleration).

So both SmartPropoPlus and Aerofly need to be running. How do I run them both as in the same session? I think that when running each one they will run in separate sessions, or maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway I know I will have to fix a problem: I tried to run Aerofly and it doesn't run as no OpenGL is installed.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Running two apps in the same Wine session

interesting. well you owuld definitelly need ot install them in same prefix. wine is not an emulator so both will run in linux anyway (if they are supported).

you could maybe run them at the same time with a manually created .bat file?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

What do you mean by the same prefix?
    And
    Will launching them in a .bat make them running in the same session?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by rva1945 View Post
    So both SmartPropoPlus and Aerofly need to be running. How do I run them both as in the same session? I think that when running each one they will run in separate sessions, or maybe I'm wrong.
    Wine works by creating pretend environments - pretend C:, pretend Windows - which are called prefixes. Each prefix is just a directory that holds the files and configuration. By default Wine uses just one prefix for everything. Other tools that use Wine - such as Lutris or Proton - default to using a different prefix for each application, so that they don't interfere with each other. In each case you can configure which prefix you want to use.

Wine won't make every application work. Applications that directly interface with hardware are the least likely to work.
    None but ourselves can free our minds