Beans

Re: Frustrated, stuck on blank purple screen

I ended up sadly re-installing Mint.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

woomdawg;

Regrets that this one is above my skills set.

carry on, smartly
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
    Yes at the end of the line that starts with linux
    Not sure you did it right... End of the line is not always the best way. But this likely needs some boring explanation:

This is about the KernelBootParameters link you were given in a previous post.
    In one of the screenshots please notice that the line "linux" actually ends with "$vt_handoff_" (initializes the desktop). Unfortunately the guide has a couple of problems and the first is not making it clear enough, IMO, that the added parameters are to written after "quiet splash" (or before or instead of) with a space, and not after "$vt_handoff_". Pleased note they do mention it like this:
    • Use the down arrow key to move the cursor to the line beginning with the word "linux", then press the END key to move the cursor to the end of that line. Normally this will be just after the words "quiet splash".

• Press SPACE to add a blank space (after "splash") then carefully type in the kernel boot parameter that you need to add. (If you need to add multiple parameters separate them with SPACE but do not add spaces before or after any = signs or punctuation in the parameters themselves).
    So, if your edit didn't look like "quiet splash nomodeset" (actually a better idea is just "nomodeset" instead of "quiet splash" so you can see the boot messages, but I digress...) that explains why it didn't work as it should assuming we're back to very likely a graphics driver problem, the first hypotheses mentioned in this thread. A different kind of issues is also possible, of course, but I decided to post this to confirm or not if you're sure you used "nomodeset" exactly as mentioned above.

My hypotheses:
    1. Knowing that 18.04 was fine either with the default open-source nouveau or a proper Nvidia driver that you installed (you tell us, please) and
    2. 19.10 runs fine in a live session and installs successfully

I think 19.10 could have somehow installed a wrong driver.

You may try reinstalling but this time do not select installation of third-party goodies to force it it to use the same driver as in the live session instead of the Nvidia one. Maybe that just works, If it does then we (optionally) troubleshoot the Nvidia driver. If nouveau fits your needs there's no reason not to keep it that way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Not sure you did it right... End of the line is not always the best way. But this likely needs some boring explanation:

This is about the KernelBootParameters link you were given in a previous post.
    In one of the screenshots please notice that the line "linux" actually ends with "$vt_handoff_" (initializes the desktop). Unfortunately the guide has a couple of problems and the first is not making it clear enough, IMO, that the added parameters are to written after "quiet splash" (or before or instead of) with a space, and not after "$vt_handoff_". Pleased note they do mention it like this:

So, if your edit didn't look like "quiet splash nomodeset" (actually a better idea is just "nomodeset" instead of "quiet splash" so you can see the boot messages, but I digress...) that explains why it didn't work as it should assuming we're back to very likely a graphics driver problem, the first hypotheses mentioned in this thread. A different kind of issues is also possible, of course, but I decided to post this to confirm or not if you're sure you used "nomodeset" exactly as mentioned above.

My hypotheses:
    1. Knowing that 18.04 was fine either with the default open-source nouveau or a proper Nvidia driver that you installed (you tell us, please) and
    2. 19.10 runs fine in a live session and installs successfully

I think 19.10 could have somehow installed a wrong driver.

You may try reinstalling but this time do not select installation of third-party goodies to force it it to use the same driver as in the live session instead of the Nvidia one. Maybe that just works, If it does then we (optionally) troubleshoot the Nvidia driver. If nouveau fits your needs there's no reason not to keep it that way.
    Yes you are correct I did enter nomodeset in the wrong place at the end of the linux line. I have both 18.04 and 19.10 working with the nvidia driver. I will reinstall with no goodies. One thing I thought of and probably not the cause but this all started about the time I plugged my TV into my GPU with an HDMI cable as a second monitor, I will unplug that as well. Thanks

Beans

Installed and working and I did not have to use nomodeset. Oddly enough I think my TV plugged into the HDMI port on my GPU caused the issue. We will see as I update and install drivers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234