Thread: 18.04.04 Server - Removing unneeded OpenVPN

Beans

18.04.04 Server - Removing unneeded OpenVPN

Hi all - I'm trying to clean up my 'journalctl -xb' output. One thing that's been bugging me is this:

Code:
    Feb 15 21:36:25 server ovpn-server2[13177]: Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: /etc/openvpn/server2.conf

Feb 15 21:36:30 server systemd[1]: Failed to start OpenVPN connection to server2.
    I must have set a second "autostart" of an Openvpn process or instance when I was attempting to stack openpvn certificates (unsuccessfully I might add).

Any suggestions on what commands to use to stop this bad process or instance and clear up my logs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 18.04.04 Server - Removing unneeded OpenVPN

Are you still using openvpn for other connections or you have completely stopped using it?

If you have completely stopped using it, best to purge settings (not just uninstall the package):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge openvpn
    If that error message is related to some code you put manually, you will need to try and remember where you did it. Finding it might be hard unless you have more details in the logs surrounding those messages you posted.

Usually you put manual commands in /etc/rc.local, cron jobs, etc...
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Re: 18.04.04 Server - Removing unneeded OpenVPN

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Are you still using openvpn for other connections or you have completely stopped using it?

If you have completely stopped using it, best to purge settings (not just uninstall the package):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge openvpn
    If that error message is related to some code you put manually, you will need to try and remember where you did it. Finding it might be hard unless you have more details in the logs surrounding those messages you posted.

Usually you put manual commands in /etc/rc.local, cron jobs, etc...

Thanks Darko.

Turns out I had to run this bit...
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable openvpn@server2.service
    ...to disable or stop this.