Thread: Permissions Appear Correct, but Fail

Beans

Question Permissions Appear Correct, but Fail

I'm running a dockerized Minecraft server (itzg/minecraft) in a fairly straightforward Ubuntu 18.04 server. The Minecraft directory is under /srv. If I sudo chmod 777 -R /srv, everything works great. So I know my issue is permissions related. However, I am not able to get it to work correctly otherwise, unless I make a specific account (not group) the owner of the server's file store.

I've done this:
    Code:
    sudo groupadd gameadmin
    sudo usermod -a -G gameadmin myUsername
    sudo chown -R root:gameadmin /srv
    If I then do sudo chmod 775 -R /srv, minecraft fails to save user progress. However, if I sudo chown -R myUsername:gameadmin /srv, it works. I've also confirmed that the gameadmin group has myUsername in it with getent group gameadmin.

How can it be that with 775 permissions, the account owner and group owner do not have the same ability to write/modify files and directories?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Permissions Appear Correct, but Fail

Are permissions, users, and groups inside the container the same as outside the container? Just asking. Only you would know.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

are you doing the chown commands inside the container or outside?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    are you doing the chown commands inside the container or outside?
    Hopefully, there isn't any way to get "inside" a running container. That would be bad, against container best practices, and defeat the purpose. Containers should only have enough OS to do the 1-thing they are supposed to do. No shell. No ssh. Just 1 running program, hopefully, just a single network service.

Don't leave any tools helpful to an attacker inside the container. It should only be able to run the single program, nothing else.

At least that's what the training I've had beat into our heads.