Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which search machines are good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

which search machines are good.

I noticed that when I use duckduckgo things that google usually find I cant find using duckduckgo. I have some links to certain articles that I can find with google but not duckduckgo. however I dont really like google because of privacy issues so I need to switch between some search engines to search the net. and avoid googles tracking to that extend its possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: which search machines are good.

Moved to Cafe, not an Ubuntu support issue

Beans

I use DuckDuckGo and find most things I search for most of the time.

When I can't find what I'm searching for using DuckDuckGo than I use Google which I have bookmarked.

No one search engine is going to be 100% and find everything.

I'm amazed at what I can find using Dillo browser and Midori browser.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I've used Qwant and was happy until I moved over to Google.

I simply don't use Ubuntu for privacy reasons and was curious about other options.

You may want to see this resource.

https://www.privacytools.io/providers/search-engines/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
    I noticed that when I use duckduckgo things that google usually find I cant find using duckduckgo. I have some links to certain articles that I can find with google but not duckduckgo. however I dont really like google because of privacy issues so I need to switch between some search engines to search the net. and avoid googles tracking to that extend its possible.

google finds it because you visited the article before and google knows about that. so it would often find what it thinks you are looking for. which can be a problem if that is not what you are trying to find. i was trying to find information about end of the world movie (it was probably a straight to DVD or TV movie). google kept suggesting the blockbuster 2012 film and This is the end (comedy). they took many of the search pages. and it was not what i was looking for. it couldn't find the correct one even after adding some keywords from the plot or one of the actors. google only thought this is what i mean based on my previous search and based on search by others.

duck duck go found the correct one.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thank you. its a certain name I am looking for. its legal matter so I want to be prepared and google tend to show the most results. I am using duckduck go as of now because of privacy issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I use startpage.com by default. I do use duckduckgo.com also, but usually startpage.com. There are times where I do need to use google (ubuntu news use gdocs; very rarely i use it to search for other results, but that'll be in a different 'google' use only browser)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Google dwarfs all others in their crawling and indexing. It's not really even a close contest.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Google dwarfs all others in their crawling and indexing. It's not really even a close contest.
    that is true. but it also often gives wrong results or filters results in a wrong way. so the first hits are not necessarily the correct ones. and the first results are often "sponsored" and can be wrong for that reason.

so "install java on ubuntu" might bring up the old website with non functioning PPA in first few hits. it should sort results based on time. i also find out when i search for errors i get very old and irrelevant results on the top. they could be misleading to users for example.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    that is true. but it also often gives wrong results or filters results in a wrong way. so the first hits are not necessarily the correct ones. and the first results are often "sponsored" and can be wrong for that reason.

so "install java on ubuntu" might bring up the old website with non functioning PPA in first few hits. it should sort results based on time. i also find out when i search for errors i get very old and irrelevant results on the top. they could be misleading to users for example.
    thank you. this was useful information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast