Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to install ubuntu on second disk alongside Windows 10(with grub on separate disk)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to install ubuntu on second disk alongside Windows 10(with grub on separate d

If Windows fast start up off, this then should add Windows to grub menu.
    sudo update-grub

But if mostly using Windows and booting from UEFI boot menu, you really do not have to add Windows to grub menu and can leave Windows fast start up on.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: how to install ubuntu on second disk alongside Windows 10(with grub on separate d

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If Windows fast start up off, this then should add Windows to grub menu.
    sudo update-grub.
    Is this true if Windows is UEFI and Ubuntu is BIOS? I have tried "sudo update-grub" and every menuentry I can find, even chainloading.

I have also tried doing "sudo update-grub" with Full install UEFI pendrive, (with mkusb boot partition).

Beans

Is this true if Windows is UEFI and Ubuntu is BIOS? I have tried "sudo update-grub" and every menuentry I can find, even chainloading.
    Grub installed in Legacy mode will not boot an EFI install of windows. Spent many hours reading/researching and testing and have never come across anything that works. Legacy Grub will boot an EFI install of another Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Grub installed in Legacy mode will not boot an EFI install of windows. Spent many hours reading/researching and testing and have never come across anything that works. Legacy Grub will boot an EFI install of another Linux.
    Can we take this a step further and say that an UEFI install of Ubuntu will will not boot an EFI install of Windows? (If on separate disks).

Edit:
    Or say that any install of grub on one disk will will not boot an EFI install of Windows on another disk?
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; February 20th, 2020 at 05:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Grub will boot Windows on another drive, if UEFI Secure Boot is off. If Secure Boot is on, it will not boot Windows as something the the chain of trust is lost.
    I have seen the output of efibootmgr -v that shows a different GUID & partition number in details between Windows & Ubuntu UEFI entries.

It just is Windows must have fast start up off and not otherwise need repairs. Grub only boots working Windows.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12