Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do I deploy an iso with persistence built in?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I deploy an iso with persistence built in?

You can zeroise the following way:

- Boot from another drive (not the persistent live drive)
    - Mount a partition with a file system (read-write)
    - cd to its mountpoint
    - Write zeros until the partition is full: sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=BLANK bs=4096
    - Delete the file BLANK
    - cd from the mountpoint
    - Unmount the partition
    - Do the same for the next partition ...

This is implemented in mkpersimage and works for me. Maybe something is still missing in your computer for it to work. But you should be able to look at the code and use the method 'manually'.

Beans

sudodus, when I run the script I'm getting the following error on each of the partitions:
    Code:
    dd: error writing '/mnt/sd1/blank': No space left on device
    Is this normal? I'm going to try doing it manually in the morning.

Larry

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, this is the normal output, when there is no space left on the device (the partition, that you mounted, and where you wrote the file 'blank'). Then delete the file, and you have zeroised the free space

Beans

sudodus - Doing the zeroing manually worked. I reduced the size of casper-rw and usbdata to 2GB before running the "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=BLANK bs=4096" on the casper-rw, usbdata, and usbboot partitions mounted one at a time. I then ran mkxzimage and got dd-sda-6GB.img.xz which is 638.8MB. I can live with that. I'll see how it runs and let you know.

Edit: It wouldn't boot even in legacy boot.
    Last edited by lhh29936; March 1st, 2020 at 08:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Did the original persistent live drive boot?

How did you create the persistent live system (the master system before creating the image)? Did you use the default GPT or an MSDOS partition table)? You need GPT to boot also in UEFI mode.

After extraction and cloning: Did you fix the backup partition table (either automatically by using mkusb to create the USB boot drive from the compressed image or by using gpt-fix or manually with gdisk)?

Beans

Your persistent live drive booted Legacy only. Used mkusb to create the master image on USB with GPT partition table then used gpt-fix to make sure the backup partition table was fixed. I reduced the size of casper-rw and usbdata to 2GB and made sure there was no space between the partitions before running the "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=BLANK bs=4096" on the casper-rw, usbdata, and usbboot partitions mounted one at a time. I then ran mkxzimage. Should I have run gpt-fix after burning the .img file to the GPT partitioned USB?

NOTE: I'll be off-line for a week starting tomorrow. My sister is flying in from California and will be staying with me. We have a lot of catching up to do.
    Last edited by lhh29936; March 2nd, 2020 at 05:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lhh29936 View Post
    Should I have run gpt-fix after burning the .img file to the GPT partitioned USB?
    Yes, this is [the only instance] where you need gpt-fix: To fix the gpt backup partition table in the final USB boot drive. The reason is that the final drive's size is most likely different from the size of the original system from where you created the compressed image file.

Beans

Thanks, I'll let you know how it's going when I'm back on-line next week.

Beans
    Hidden!

I tested today, and the current version of mkusb, 12.5.7 can create persistent live drives from Foxclone iso files, foxclone34-02.iso, so if you wish you can provide upgrading to your end users without downloading the whole system. See the attached screenshot.

-o-

I tested also by adding mkusb, and it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sudodus; June 20th, 2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: minor edit

Beans

@sudodus, thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of a new version of mkusb. I'll definitely talk with the foxclone developer about it.

Also, thanks for your continued interest in the project. In addition to the deployment end of the project I'm also the web developer and getting ready to update the website. It all keeps this 71 year old guy occupied.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345