Thread: GRUB "hanging" on boot before allowing input (Dual Boot Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04)

Beans

GRUB "hanging" on boot before allowing input (Dual Boot Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04)

G'day all.
    I've got Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 dual booted on a Surface Laptop 3. I have GRUB configured to allow both Ubuntu and "Windows Boot Manager" to be chosen from it. However, whenever I start the laptop up, and after the initial Microsoft logo splash, there is always a period of about 15 seconds within which no keyboard input registers - not arrows, not Enter, etc. After about 15 seconds, a keyboard icon appears in the bottom right corner, at which point GRUB works completely as normal.
    I know that this has nothing to do with GRUB_TIMEOUT, as the timer at the bottom that represents it is also frozen until the keyboard icon appears. I also believe that it is a GRUB-specific issue, as when I change to boot from Windows Boot Manager in the UEFI, Windows boots without any issues.
    I've been searching online for a while and can't find anyone with a similar issue. Does anyone know what might be causing this, and what I could do to reduce this "hang" time or avoid it completely?
    Let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: GRUB "hanging" on boot before allowing input (Dual Boot Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04)

Have you updated grub yet?