Thread: File and folder attributes in exFAT for Windows

Beans

Question File and folder attributes in exFAT for Windows

Please, could you help me to assign files or folders attributes at an USB drive for Windows?

I has used fatattr but it does not works with exFAT, do you know another tool for do this? I would prefer a graphic user interface whether it is possible.

Sincerely.
    Last edited by gagorial; 3 Days Ago at 12:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: File and folder attributes in exFAT for Windows

Non-native file systems don't support permissions under any Unix-like OS.
    Permissions, owner, group and any ACLs can only be set through mount option. There are many posts in these forums about this with specific solutions - "fstab mount permissions exfat" is what I'd search.

Sorry, I don't know any GUI tool that does mounting in a way I would trust not to break or have terrible performance.

Beans

I am not referring to assign attributes for Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution; I am referring attributes as hidden, read-only… I require a tool for Windows machines, but I would prefer do the task on Linux, no on Microsoft Windows. I use exFAT for compatibility and to write files over 4GB.

Beans

Have you installed the hfs utilities on Ubuntu? I'm not aware of any Linux system that has them installed in a default system.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/3323...t-access-to-os

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Have you installed the hfs utilities on Ubuntu? I'm not aware of any Linux system that has them installed in a default system.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/3323...t-access-to-os
    Yancek - looks like you meant to post this to a different thread. We're talking about the MS-DOS attrib command for exFAT file here. At least I thought we were.

I did a little research and found mattrib and chattr, but don't think ether will help on exFAT. mattrib might - seems it does work on vfat stuff, but I didn't see anything about exFAT.

I would probably just write a powershell script and do it on Windows. I assume the OP tried just naming the files .filename already? That should force exFAT to choose a different name, one that is valid. Probably won't work. Just brainstorming ideas.

Beans

Yancek - looks like you meant to post this to a different thread
    Certainly does, not sure how that happened but I'll see if I can find the other thread?

Beans

Yes, I know that it is possible to hide an folder or file for Linux adding a "." before the name of file or folder and also it is possible creating a text file named .hidden with a list of names from files and folders that I want o requiere to hide.

A lot fo thanks for your your support.
    I am sorry if I do not give the right meaning, I apologise for my english, I know that it is not enough good.